Dover to Paris - with Cruise Luggage

Aug 28th, 2003, 03:41 PM
JM
Original Poster

Dover to Paris - with Cruise Luggage

We will be leaving a cruise in Dover on a Sunday next July. We would like to spend the next 3 nights in Paris before flying home. We'll undoubtedly have at least 2 heavy pieces of luggage and a carryon. What is the best way to get from Dover to Paris?

I was thinking getting to London and taking the Eurostar. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Where are you flying home from - Paris or London?

The problem w/ having lots of luggage on the train is that you have to schlepp it yourself and stow it at the end of the car or in the overhead racks. Plus there is lots of walking within the station to get to the train. There are no porters or baggage cars.

If you are flying out of London: I would go into London and check the excess luggage at Waterloo. Take just what you'd need for 3 days in Paris. Then pick up your bags when you get back from paris and head to the airport.

If you are flying out of Paris you have some problems. I would just go from Dover to Ashford and catch the Eurostar there. There is no reason to go all the way to London just to turn around and go back to Ashford on your way to Paris. But be prepared to hassle the luggage.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:52 PM

This past July, we did the route your proposing, but in reverse. We went from Paris to Ashford International, the EuroStar stop closest to Dover, where we boarded a cruise ship. Not all trains stop at Ashford International so you must be careful when you book the tickets. It's about a 20 minute drive from Dover to Ashford International. As far as the luggage goes... we had 2 large pieces, 2 rollys, the allowable amount on the EuroStar. We took advice from this board and purchased a lightweight lock at Magellen's, which we used to tie our 2 large cases together and then to the metal shelving provided for large luggage, located at the end of each car. There is no stop between Dover (Ashford International) and Paris, so you don't have to worry about passengers getting on and off and taking your luggage, but I'd still opt for the lock so you don't have to worry about your luggage, which actually sits between two cars, behind a glass door. One bit of advice: you need to unlock your luggage before the train reaches its destination, as the train doesn't stop for very long. Also, there will be no one at either end that will help you take your luggage on and off but we managed just fine and we're in our 60's. You'll probably arrive at the Paris Nord train station... not a great part of town, so be careful with money, camera, and hold your luggage tightly. There are elevators, which are right there,so you don't have to struggle with escalators. When you arrive, you take an elevator or escalator up one level, then when you're out of the EuroStar area, you take another elevator/escalator down one level. And, there are plenty of taxis right outside the door.
Aug 30th, 2003, 03:51 AM
JM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for the excellent information - especially Sandy for all the detail. I tried gettting a price on the eurostar site, but I guess I'm too far out datewise, as it could not give me any rates for next July,2004.

I understand there are different sites that can give different prices. Which is the best site to use, and what is the earliest I should book for the best one-way rate? (We're flying home out of Paris).
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:22 AM

JM... I checked the prices of the EuroStar website and RailEurope's 800/782-2424, and found the 800 number offered the same prices... and I spoke to an English-speaking agent, who answered all my questions and offered me options I couldn't have gotten on the website. I don't recall how much in advance we were able to buy our EuroStar tickets but a phone call doesn't cost anything and RailEurope will be able to tell you. We enjoyed the EuroStar experience and wouldn't hesitate to do it again... Sandy

Search this Thread