Is the CT worth it?

Search

Is the CT worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the CT worth it?

Just wondering if we should take the time and try to make the CT a day trip from Siena? I would love to see Lucca and the tower in Pisa, but should we push it to see the CT also. Since we are going in Feb, I'm afraid it will be pretty dead. What do you think?
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I MADE that mistake of trying to make CT a day trip from the Florence area. We missed the first train because of communication difficulties with the ticket clerk, then didn't take into account the fact that the trains around the CT were not as prompt as what we're accustomed to in the US. We didn't get to Riomaggiore until about 2 in the afternoon! We ended up buying toothbrushes and deodorant in the CT and staying overnight. Even though we had almost 24 hours there, that was barely enough time to skim through three of the towns, without any hiking. About 3 days would have been perfect, IMO. From what I've heard about Lucca, I'd hate to rush that as well. Oh, so much to see!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Dear Jocelyn
I know what you mean. This is our first trip and I want to see everything, which is impossible, and yet I'm trying to not make any mistakes. Thanks for your input. Kat
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Kat, repeat after me !
"Feb. in Italy is not like May"
Forget the CT--enjoy Lucca.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:08 AM

Bob is right.
In February you will have a hard time finding a hotel or restaurant that is open. Shops will be closed. It will probably be cloudy & raining. Depressing.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:48 AM

If the weather is bad, CT can be a very depressing spot... Enjoy Lucca, and the general Tuscan countryside. Don't spend too much time in Pisa.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM
ira

topping for clayfus
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:16 AM

I loved CT - we got into Rio at 9 in the morning from Florence(via train) and spent three hours hiking the first three towns - we stopped at Cornelia..took the milk train again to see the next town, took the boat to the last town and the train back again to Rio..had dinner at Vernaza? the fourth town and watched the sunset and back to Rio to our convent - so one day is doable..however..if you really want to explore the towns itself - walk the narrow streets etc..and not feel rushed, not to mention that the milk trains in between the towns were delayed and we wasted 2 hours just sitting around and waiting....soo...I wouldn't if I were you. Plus the weather was great when we went - late May..don't go when it's cold/wet...
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:28 AM
RAR

CT is great. But not as a daytrip!!!!!!!