Is the Circumvesuviana trian easy to find Rome to Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom and Aunt have to go from Rome to Sorrento then Sorrento to Florence, I assume they take the train form Rome to Naples then the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, is it hard to find at the trian station?
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Trains from Rome arrive at Napoli Centrale, and Circumvesuviana leave from Stazione Piazza Garibaldi. The two stations are connected by two flights of stairs and corridors - just follow signs. Currently Pza Garibaldi is undergoing renovation so it's a bit chaotic but tracks are easy enough to find.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM

If I recall its in the train station itself. So it should be easy to find. They better have luggage that is easy to wheel, and not too heavy however, since I think there are stairs to climb or go down.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Yes, Garibaldi station is underground (down one floor) from the Naples station. Well marked, just follow the signs. I've used the Circumvesuviana several times, and every time the escalators have been broken. Be prepared to carry luggage up and down!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Circumvesuviana uses tracks on the lower levels of Napoli Centrale. Not too difficult to make the transfer, but it could be something of a hike. And beware of the guys in Napoli Centrale who want to help with your bags -- they will try to hold them hostage for a 10E (or more) fee, even though they approach as if to help you out of the goodness of their hearts. It may be best to have several 2E coins in an easily accessible pocket (and serious cash well buried under several layers of clothing) so you can somewhat convincingly offer them "all" you have if you really do need help with the luggage.