Luggage on Rome to Naples/Sorrento Train

May 22nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Luggage on Rome to Naples/Sorrento Train

I'm taking luggage on the Rome to Naples>Sorrento train next week. I can't take the bus due to the incovenient schedule. I've never been to Italy and I'm unfamiliar with the train rides. I would appreciate any advice on how to handle my luggage on the train, if there are differences in train tickets, theft, etc. Thanks! And I should mention, this is two women traveling together.....the safest advise would be appreciated!
May 22nd, 2010, 08:46 AM

>>>if there are differences in train tickets,<<<

What does that mean?

You have to handle your own luggage, get it up the train steps (sometimes quickly, but usually not on AV/Es as they tend to sit in the station a few more minutes). In Naples, you must go downstairs to catch the commuter train to Sorrento (like riding a subway). It used to be you had to carry your luggage down a flight of stairs in Naples, but the station was under much construction last time I was there and hopefully this will be all escalator, but be prepared for stairs. If you have rolling luggage, at Sorrento when you exit the train, if you are facing the station building, go to your left as there are walkways that slope. After going through the exit turnstyles, go to the left (don't follow everyone else going right and down the stairs). On the left you will find a small elevator to take you down to street level. Watch your belongings in Naples and don't let people help you transport your luggage or help you buy your Circumvesuviana ticket. They are not employees and will want big bucks for helping.
May 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
ira

Hi Api,

You will have to change trains.

The train from Rome to Naples is Trenitalia. The train from Naples to Sorrento is the Circumvesuviana. You connect to it in the basement of the Naples Centrale (Garibaldi) station.

You handle your own luggage. On Trenitalia. there are racks for large bags at one end of the car. Racks above the seats are for smaller bags.

The Circumvesuviana is a commuter line. There will be room for your luggage in each car.

Neither line is particularly unsafe. Follow the usual rules: don't let strangers handle your property, and keep your eye on your luggage, especially when entering or leaving stations.

Another route you can take, if you have a bit more time, is to take the Trenitalia train from Rome to Salerno. From there, you can take the ferry or the SITA bus to Sorrento. Both have bettr facilities for your luggage. Both are more scenic.

Enjoy your visit.

May 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM

You didn't ask this but when we got to the Naples train station we walked out the front door, hopped in a cab (15 Euros) to the ferry port and took the ferry to Sorrento. Very pretty ride. Then you get in a bus which takes you up from the port to the middle of town. It is easier than it sounds.

We took the Naples/Sorrento train (Circumvesuviana) a few times and the pickpockets might as well have been wearing signs they were so obvious.
May 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. This is our first out of the coutnry experience.....you can imagine the anxiety.

Kybourbon - By difference in train tickets, I was referring to possible reserved seats, first class, second class, etc. I would assume not, else, that question would have made sense! Great info on the stairways and elevators! Thx!

Ira - Luggage storage has been my biggest concern. I don't want to be seperated from my luggage but I'm guessing that is a requirement. It cannot be taken to my seat? What size are you considering large? And should I purchase a cord to lock my luggage onto the racks?

Lastly, I'm riding the train on a Thursday, is there a time that it is less crowded? I'm open to ride at any time.
May 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Colduphere - Haven't thought about that route. Sounds like it would be nice. I appreciate you giving me your input!
May 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM

If you have to put luggage out of sight at the end of the car, take a bungee cord and connect your suitcases together. Thieves want to grab and run. They don't want to have to deal with two suite cases connected. And I agree with some one above....don't let the men with blue jackets touch your luggage. They look like employees of the station but they aren't.
May 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM

Most trains in Italy (AV, ES, EScity, ICPlus, IC) are reserved seat only except for the very slow R trains which stop in every tiny station. I doubt you would want to take an R train on this route as it would take 1 1/2 hours longer unless you really want to save money. Some routes to small towns will only have R trains. The AV/ES train only takes 1:10 minutes and 2nd class is fine (two trains per hour).

If your luggage isn't too big, it may fit behind your seat on ES/AV trains, if not, at the end of the car. The ES/AV does not stop on this route so there is not much need to watch your luggage as you would on other types of trains that make lots of stops. People don't tend to hang out around the luggage area as everyone has a seat. One of you will probably be facing the end that has the luggage storage and can just glance at it from time to time if you are that concerned. I wouldn't get a cord to lock luggage unless you can be pretty fast at it. Trains are not in stations long and you need to get your luggage and get off while others are trying to board.

The Circumvesuviana is similar to a subway so no reservations. You must stamp tickets that don't have seat reservations in the yellow machine track-side before boarding. This train makes lots of stops so stay with/near your luggage.
May 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM

Kybourbon: The bungee is not to lock the luggage. It's to just thread it through the handles and hook them. It takes a short time to free them while you're standing at the door but thieves don't want to bother with them. We were just on the ES/AV from Rome to Naples and there were beggars on the train.
May 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM

I've seen them board while the train is in the station (in Naples) and hit people up for money, but they always jumped off before the train left as they had no tickets.
May 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM

Ann is correct - the guys in blue jackets in the Naples station seem official and will try to help you. They are not official. You are on your own so ignore them.
May 23rd, 2010, 04:37 AM

kybourbon: Actually I was surprised, too. I am used to them getting off the train before it leaves. These didn't. They rode it to Naples. I don't know if they got off there or not.