Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is staying by the Vatican really that bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm headed to Italy in October with my boyfriend and we're on a bit of a budget.

I found what looks like a great room in Rome for $138/night at the B&B Best (Vatican) (http://en.venere.com/bed_and_breakfa...fast_best.html), but after reading the forums, I'm starting to worry that we're going to hate the area when it comes time for dinner.

Any thoughts? Can anyone think of a similarly nice hotel or B&B in the better areas of Rome?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:19 AM

That is an excellent price, and the reviews on Venere seem to be good.

One of the problems with staying in that area is you spend a portion of the day commuting to the city center, which is not that far, but I would not want to walk it both ways in one day.

It looks like a nice place.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM

to me it's a great area - more a real neighborhood than most of Rome's center. Just north of the Vatican is a vibrant commercial shopping street with ordinary stores, gelato places, pizza places, markets, etc.

And the Vatican is not more than a mile i'd say from the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Corso Cavour, etc. and there is also a metro stop at the Vatican.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM

It is a fine area and the walk to the center is very pleasant.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

That's such a relief! I've only been to Rome once before (for about 24 hours), so I don't remember much about the size, but a mile into the center sounds fine. And, yes, I think the B&B Best is near a metro station.

Maybe we'll look for a Vatican-area restaurant for the first night and trek into the center for dinner the second.

Thanks so much, dwzemens and PalenQ (PalenQ, you've been such a help in the past, as well... thanks so much!).

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

And thank you, SeaUrchin!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM

There are plenty of restaurants over there. It's just that they never get written up. I am assuming that you are young so the walk is not going to be a problem, even at night and especially in October.

I like it and will probably be where I stay the next time I go back.

Nice apartment btw.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM

You can always use the bus system, too - we stayed by Piazza Barberini, walked a lot and used the buses as well.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I always stay in the area of the Vatican there are several places on the via Cavalleggeri, via delle Fomaci and near station san pietro. Most start around 80e for apartments that sleep 4. some are small, some are much larger you have to shop around. You want to stay in the general area between the start of the Via Aurelia and the river as that way you can hop right on the bus and be across the river in less than 10min.
All of the posters are correct, most of the sites are on the other side of the river. However I like staying in a more neighborhood type area where you can shop in the small stores, bank is right there, hardware stores etc. enjoy stroll in the evening.Its a matter of what you like and what you want to pay and of course how you feel about taking the bus to some sites. Many you can walk to.
There are many great resturants along the via delle Fomaci, chinese, you name it, Under the train overpass bridge on the via cavalleggeri is the goose a small local place that is good also further up the via cavalleggeri are several mid price range places.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM
AR

I agree with the others. I have stayed in several areas in Rome and on the last occasion chose the Dei Consoli near the Vatican and found the area excellent. I have to admit that I chose the area because I wanted to spend a lot of time in St Peter's and the Vatican museum etc but still travelled extensively through the rest of the city.
Dinner was easy, but I always find Rome an easy city to dine in anyway.
Enjoy the trip and don't worry about the area.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM

On our last trip to Rome we stayed at the Hotel Florida, about a 5 minute walk to the Vatican and it was fine. There are plenty of restaurants on the back streets and public transportation is quick and easy if you want to use it although we walked to most places. Our stroll to the Pantheon was about 1/2 hour. NIce hotel too at a good price.