Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Beter to stay in Trastevere or near the vatican?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Travelling to Rome in June. I have the option of staying at the Ripa Hotel in Trastevere Rome or at the Novotel St Peters. Does anyone have any feedback on either. Also which area would best suit myself and two 19year daughters. We have a pass for the Hop on Hop off Bus to get around. Any advice would be great
many thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM
rex

Both are "specialized" locations (i.e., not part of the "usual" recommended locations, from folks here on this forum), in my opinion. Not to say that either is bad.

Stay near the Vatican, if you want to visit the attractions of the Vatican repeatedly. Stay in Trastevere, if you want its unique atmosphere, which is a good bit less tourist-oriented than say anywhere along the "Spanish Steps-Trevi Fountain-Pantheon-Piazza Navona" axis which is mostly in the Centro Storico.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM

There's only one Novotel in Rome, and it's quite remote - not near St. Peters.

Or do you have some other hotel in mind perhaps?

I think staying near the Vatican is fine if you get a good deal, particularly if very interested in the area, and if you are close to transport links.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I think your daughters may like Trastevere better. But you might like your daughters better by the Vatican!

Just kidding--they are both good areas, and I agree with all Rex's points. I prefer Trastevere for myself, but I'm not sure which your family would prefer.

Trastevere is livelier. And a bit grottier, too.

I hope you have a great time in Rome!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, daughters had a giggle! Is Trastevere quite safe at night to walk home from Restaurants? I looked on the map, Novotel seems quite away from everything. Could cost us too much in transport. If you could stay anywhere, what would you recommend? I am a Travel Agent so I get reasonable prices for accommodation. Trastevere does sound a better option. Plenty of Clubs, etc.
thanks for your feedback!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Gingerpot, there isn't any such hotel called Novotel St. Peters. Did you have some other hotel in mind?
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM

If I could stay anywhere in Rome, I'd stay in the areas between and including Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain. Lots to do within walking distance, and very safe walking at night.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Willtravel,

sorry hotel we have a booking at is Crowne Plaza St Peters!
Do you know it? The area?
thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Gingerpot, I wouldn't consider the Crowne Plaza St. Peters to be convenient for anything. They claim to be 3 km from the Vatican - which is likely an underestimate given how hotels work.

It's not in the central Vatican area - it's basically remote from everything. You can take the city bus or the shuttle bus to get somewhere, but that will take time.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM
KT

The Hop On Hop Off bus doesn't go to Trastevere, and it only has one route. Be prepared to use city buses (not a problem)or walk. If you do stay near the Vatican, you also have the option of the Metro, but it only has a limited number of stops.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Gingerpot: Forgive me for saying so, but for a travel agent, you seem to be somewhat lacking in travel information as regards Rome.

1. Neither location -- and certainly not the Crowne Plaza St. Peter's -- is a good one. As some informed posters have already said, the best location in Rome -- and the one that puts almost anything you would want to see in Rome within walking distance -- is the Campo de Fiori/Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. There are numerous restaurants, cafes and wine bars in the area. It is also a very safe area, unless your daughters (are they twins?) have a tendency to wander down dark alleys at 3:00 a.m.

2. The hop-on hop-off bus pass is valid for one day only. Unless you are only staying in Rome for one day, it will do you no good at all for getting around during most of your stay.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM

The Crowne Plaza is too far out for convenient sightseeing.

Even the Ripa seems a little out of the way, in a (I think) less charming part of Trastevere. However, it's far more walkable than the Crowne Plaza. And I looked at the web site: sure looks like a nice hotel.

Depending on your discount I would certainly consider the Ripa. However, I've been to Rome before so I'm very comfortable walking all over the place. Not sure if it's the *best* location for a first trip.

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ok I'll cancel out the Crowne Plaza. Any recommendations for another place around Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain. 4 star + Will keep thoughts on Trastevere. Just sooo undecided! Need help! First time Visit from Australia,
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Would you consider a 3* hotel in that general area? A 4* hotel in the historical center would be very expensive.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Eloise, As a Travel Agent, it is easy to recommend accommodation for clients, basically most holidays booked are packages and Hotels are pre-arranged with whoesalers who know much more about Rome than I do. As I have not been to Rome as yet (5 weeks!!) any feedback from foderites is great! With your knowledge and views I'll be able to get the best from my trip of 4 days to Rome, to take back home to Australia and pass on to my clients.
thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Hmm. 4 stars are definitely not my forte! I've stayed at the Del Senato on Piazza della Rotunda (historical center). It's quite nice. 3 stars, I think.

Friends have liked the Locarno by Piazza del Popolo. Also a 3 star (I think). Still a good location IMO.

Do you have other hotels you know of with a discount/good deal? If you throw some out there maybe we can shed further light.

Don't worry too much, though. Once you get the hotel part settled you will discover that Rome is a fantastic destination.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Leely, Other hotels Sofitel Via Lombardia 47, Novotel Roma La Rustica Via Andrea Noale 291, (not sure how far away this one is? Mercure Roma Piazza Bologna Via Reggio Calabria 54, Mercure Roma Corso TriesteVia Gradisca 29. Any of these a better option?
Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM

The Novotel is 13 km away - forget that one.

If you have to choose from just those, the Sofitel is likely the best.

But none are terribly convenient.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:49 PM

I think from the Sofitel you could walk everywhere in the historical center, and take the metro to the Vatican and Colosseum. So it would work out pretty well.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I agree with WillTravel; I'm leaning strongly toward the Sofitel. I do like Trastevere, but the Ripa's particular location is pretty unknown to me.

Plus, at the Sofitel you will be right by the Borghese Gardens. Very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -