Best Rome neighborhood to stay

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Rome neighborhood to stay

We booked the Santanna in the Vatican. Is it better to stay in Old Rome so you can walk everywhere or do you pretty much have to take public transport to get around anyway?

Also, are there any bad neighborhoods around the train station. We leave early from Rome to go home and wanted to stay near the station at a place called Hotel des Artistes.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:17 PM

If you are going to be in a city for several days, I've never understood the idea of staying near the train station because of one arrival or departure. I would stay in the historic center because we really do walk almost everywhere. In fact I think in three or four trips to Rome, I've only been on a bus once -- to go to the catacombs. And have only done the metro once -- just to see what it was like. You can walk to the center from the Vatican, but if you're only going to the vatican and St. Peters once, why stay there? Stay more central in the historic area. We walk to the vatican from there, and walk to Trastevere for dinner. But we are walkers.
And you can easily arrange for a taxi to the train station for your departure -- with minimal traffic if it is that early in the morning. Better than spending money almost daily on taxis to get everywhere else.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:28 PM
gb

Another viewpoint. We staye near the Vatican at a convent hotel (we had kids with us) and found it very pleasant. It was a bit far from the center. We did take the subway and taxis. But, since two of our three days was spent doing things near the Vatican, it was not inconvenient. It was less expensive (3 years ago $65 a night for four), convenient to shopping of items in the price range we could afford, great restaurant, and very safe feeling neighborhood.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:05 PM

gb, what convent hotel was this?
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:17 PM

Hi thorspeken,

I'm not sure of your situation, age, kids, how long you plan on being there ect. but the area, the Prati, around the Vatican I think is actually pretty cool. Aside and away from the Vatican in the neighborhood there are some truly great restaurants and deli's and shops.

It's right across from the Tiber so if you like to walk you could, but it's not like being right in the center and you can take transportation there are 2 mero stops that I know of there. Or else you would really have to plan your walks into the center, or just wing it and explore which I always love...

I have never stayed by the train station, more as an inconvenience location wise not because it's "bad", however I have been down there to do laundry, catch trains eat ect. and I think you'd be fine - I don't know that hotel thou.

Have fun, Eileen
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:24 PM

Hotel Santanna has gotten nice reviews; it's a 3* hotel on Borgo Pio very close to the Vatican.

We stayed in Prati but closer to the bridges on via Federico Cesi. I agree with Eileen that Prati is a very nice area. As she mentioned, the really popular sights are not close, but it is possible to walk to them. We walked daily and it was not that bad. It took us around 15 minutes to Piazza Navona, a bit longer to the Spanish Steps. From Hotel Santanna it looks like it will be a few more minutes longer. It is not necessary to take the bus.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:04 AM

I would recommend staying in Campo de' Fiori in the Centro Storico section of Rome. It is in the middle of everything, within walking distance to the Pantheon, Colosseum, direct busses to the Vatican, etc. I stay there everytime I go to Rome and would not want to stay anywhere else. You can't beat the central location!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Ken

The Hotel Des Artistes is fine. Clean rooms and up to date, a good value for the price. The neighborhood is very touristy but not unsavory. That said, I agree with the other posters that it would not be worth the move from another hotel just to be closer to Termini.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:20 PM
gb

Casa Beata Margherita Caini. The rooms were sort of hospital like with our four beds in a room. It was exceptionally clean and had a brand new bathroom.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Your hotel is on the delightful Borgo Pio, in the historic Borgo district. Although not part of the Centro Storico, I'd consider the Borgo part of "Old Rome." (For some info on the Borgo Pio, see http://www.initaly.com/regions/latium/borgopio.htm)

From your hotel, it's only about 6-8 blocks to the Tiber.

The Borgo Pio has a much different feel to it than most streets in the Prati district, which seem almost more Parisian than Roman to me.

I stayed in the Prati district on my first visit to Rome and in the historic center of Rome on my second visit. While I prefer the historic center of Rome, I also enjoyed the Prati.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 05:18 PM

Good thread. I am trying to chose several hotel options in Rome for an upcoming trip. Huitres, although I have never been to Rome, I also have been looking at the Campo de Fiori area. Do you have any hotel recommendations in that neighborhood?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Most Fodor hotels in Rome's center seem already booked for mid. Oct. Will try the Campo di Fiore. We aren't changing hotels to stay near the station the last night. We are travelling all over Italy and will come back for one night to fly out of Rome and figured near the train station is as good as anywhere.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

One more thing. The Campo di Fiore doesn't have a website. Does anyone have an email address?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:54 PM

Hi again,

Campo Dei Fiori is a Piazza right in the center of Rome, it's directly across from Piazza Navonna (sp). Every morning in the Campo there is a wonderful open market with fantastic fruit, flowers, clothes ect. and late at night it's very lively with a younger crowd. I'm not sure of your age, you may love it during the day and at night you could hate it, I don't know it could be too loud for some.

I've stayed there before in an apartment right over a bar called the Drunken Ship (great place btw) but we didn't get much sleep however it was very fun too...

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want to know more.

Be well, Eileen

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:00 PM

Campo de Fiori is actually an open marketplace and the term is also associated with the surrounding neighborhood. One website for hotels in that neighborhood and others would be venere.com and also check out romanhomes.com for reasonable apartments.

As you can well observe from the above posts, there is no "best" Rome neighborhood as it way too subjective. In terms of the most convenient or centrally-located, where most major sites would be within a 45-min walk, nothing beats the Centro Storico (area surrounding the Pantheon/Piazza della Rotonda).
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 03:46 AM

Marsha: I know the Campo De' Fiori area quite well and can give you several hotel references/recommendations. I just returned from Rome last week after 10 days there. This time I stayed at the HOTEL CAMPO DE' FIORI, Via del Biscione, 6 (tel 011-39-06-6874886/fax 011-39-06-6876003), located right in the middle of the Campo de' Fiori (from Termini, take Bus #64 to the Corso Vittorio Emanuele stop-McDonald's at corner-and walk across the blvd to the Campo area. I paid only 60 euros a night for a double room, and the rate included breakfast each morning (served from 7:30-10:00 am). It's a terrific find and they have a helpful front desk staff who speak English quite well. Note that the piazza can get quite lively (noisey) at night with strolling musicians and crowds out enjoying the night air -- I would recommend requesting a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

In the past, I have stayed at Albergo Della Lunetta, Piazza del Paradiso, 68 (located around the corner from Hotel Campo de' Fiori) but they were booked full this time. Their prices are equally reasonable (65 euros for single - owner will give you that price for a double if available, however, no breakfast is included in their rates).

Some other hotels in the Campo de' Fiori are:

Albergo Del Sole, Via del Biscione, 76 (011-39-06-68806873) Single w/o bath=65 euros, w/ bath=83 euros. Double w/o bath=95 euros, w/ bath=110 euros.

Hotel Pomezia, Via dei Chiavari, 17 (011-39-06-6861371) Single w/ bath=65 euros, Double w/ bath=85 euros, Triple w/ bath=100 euros.

Rates quoted above were for this month (September) and may change during the year.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:15 AM

The Centro Storico area is in my opinion the most convenient to places in Rome you will be spending the most time. You will want to spend a couple of days at the Vatican probably. Piazza Navonna in the evening is fun and a good place to wander. Campo di Fiori is 2 minutes from the Piazza Navonna. And the best giolato(sic) is in between you and Trevi.

Basically I agree with the other posts. Pay a little extra for the Hotel and maximize your time and convenience.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:45 AM

My favorite thing to do in Rome is experience living in its varied and historical selection of neighborhoods. I have my favorites but each has a unique experience to offer. The only area I won't reside is the train station. If a simple cab ride can whisk you away to any corner of heaven, why choose pugatory?
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Ooops, purgatory. Sorry.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Re: I have my favorites but each has a unique experience to offer.

Good point, NYC. In two trips, I've stayed in three different areas -- the Spanish Steps, the Prati, and Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori -- and, while my favorite was Navona/Fiori, I enjoyed all three neighborhoods very much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information