Reload this Page >

Is Provence similar to Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:44 AM
tracy

Hello...<BR>Last summer, we rented an apartment/villa in Tuscany for a week. We had a wonderful experience, and I would like to look into doing something similar in another region. I thought of Provence, but have never been there. I wanted to know how it compares/contrasts to Tuscany. <BR><BR>Also, can anyone recommend any other areas in Italy, France or Spain where it might be nice to stay for a week in a villa? <BR><BR>Thank you for your help...<BR>Tracy

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:24 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

One big difference--French people versus Italians. I do like the Veneto region of Italy with day trips into Venice, Verona, the Dolomites, and even Lake Garda. And, some of the best vino in Italia.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:25 AM
tracy

Thanks Bob I thought about trying the Veneto region, since we will be traveling from Spain to Venice. Any suggestions about which town to stay in?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Lawrence

Similar in climate and lifestyle but somehow totally different in reality. You are talking about two fantastic places with a lot of individuality even amongst differnt towns! They both enjoy mild weather, in wonderful settings, rustic, has wonderful food and wine, and a wonderful rhythm of life. Tuscany is more historic and in my view more scenic. Provence is prettier in some ways esp in spring/summer, more varied and has richer varieties of food (although both are excellent). I enjoyed Tuscany more though.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:44 AM
holly

I've been going to Tuscany with my family since I was a kid and didn't think it got any better than that. However, last summer we rented a house in Provence and we all LOVED it. My parents are there right now and I'm going with a friend in September. I would definitely give it a try. I think I may like it even more than Italy...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:01 AM
FLJudi

Spent a week renting villas in both Provence and Tuscany this last month. We had been in both areas before. Great scenery both places, but we enjoyed Provence more - the markets and restaurants were much better (the French do know how to cook!)We're looking forward to planning another trip to France next year - maybe the Dordogne or Brittany/Normandy.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Sandy

We did Tuscany this past Spring and I am in love. I would be happy to return there, but I know there is so much more out there to see. Our next destination might be Provence. For those that replied one way or the other, can you expand on your reasons and the differences between the two? Thanks.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Stewart

For people like ourselves, who feel the world is our home, I believe the important issue is to get to know a place as best we can. When we get back home and decide whether liked it or dis-liked it, is secondary. Each place MUST be different, in order to appreciate it for its uniqueness. Lest we opt for a trip to Disney where we are assured overall homogenity. Bon Voyage.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Uncle Sam

We have been to Tuscany twice and Provence once. Both of the trips to Tuscany were designed to see all that we could in short periods of time and I believe were not fair to Tuscany. I mean three days in Florence with a day trip to Sienna and then on to Rome is not how we plan to experience Tuscany on our next trip.<BR><BR>The trip to Provence OTOH was exactly how I wish to expereience Tuscany. We stayed 10 days in one hotel in Avignon. Took leisurely day trips to hill towns, vineyards etc and therefore liked Provence much better.<BR><BR>They both are unique, beautiful regions with great climate, although I would not like to be in Provence when the mistral blows. The food and wine and ambience are outstanding in both.<BR><BR>However, until I experience Tuscany as I have Provence, I will have to say Provence is better. Probably an unfair comparison, but the only one that I have to date.<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Louis

If that matters to you, Provence is also much cheaper (I'd say about 50%) than Tuscany.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:51 AM
ann

Just came back from Tuscany. Two years ago I was in Provence(same time of year). From what everyone says I expected to like Tuscany more but I did not. Not that I didn't enjoy Tuscany, but I kept comparing it to Provence (and the hilltowns of the Cote D'Azure) and it kept coming up short. Provence has more flowers, more fountains, is somehow more beautiful. The Tuscan hill towns, though still beautiful seem a little "gritty" compared to Provence. And as stated above Provence is cheaper and has better food. These and all the above are just opinions thought. But now having been to both, I plan to return to Provence before I'll return to Tuscany.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:11 PM
tracy

Wow! Thank you for all of the information. I have been seriously considering Provence, as I have always heard that it is beautiful & have wanted to go.<BR><BR>Does anyone have a villa that is highly recommended (for 2 people)?<BR><BR>I LOVED Tuscany, and the way that most of you described, I would probably also love Provence. Are there any areas in Spain that are similar in "feel"? Where it might be nice to stay in a villa for a week? I know that there are probably MANY places, but I am looking for specific regions so that I can do more research.<BR><BR>Thank you for all of the helpful thoughts...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Uncle Sam

Tracy,<BR><BR>You're welcome.<BR><BR>There are as many choics as there are opinions. We stayed in Avignon for 10 days, but others recommend Arles, St. Remy de Provence, Aix en Provence. It really depends on whjat you are looking for.<BR><BR>I'm sure a search here on this site will turn up something.<BR><BR>good luck,<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Stayhome

I am Tuscan and really have had enough of reading certain threads,how can you compare Tuscany with Provence? They are both beautiful but have you really seen Tuscany to be able to give a sincere judgement? Tuscany is mountains (the Apuan Alps)its plains (The Maremma) its wine country (Chianti-Montalcino-Montepulciano) its rolling baron hills (the crete) its forest (garfagnana) its sea (the island of Elba-Argentario) its storical cities (Siena-Lucca-Firenze-Arezzo) its romantic hilltop villages (thousands) its culture (leonardo-Michelangelo etc etc) its cuisine (ribollita-acqua cotta etc etc) Come on give me a break all I have read is gritty towns or people that have been standing in line at the Uffizzi in Florence. Wake up!!!!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:36 AM
ignore

Ignore the last post please

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:21 PM
John Burkus

For things Provencal check out:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence