Is McLaurie around here?

Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Is McLaurie around here?

I see that you post about South of France. We are thinking of going with friends for a week, then we will go and do on our own. It sounds like St. Remy is the way to go. Where should we stay? Go see do? In your opinion? We don't want to rent a car if we can help it. But, have looked into the rental of the VW vans. Also we are chatting about sharing a large house. Any info you can share would be Vonderful!
Jan 5th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Bumping this back to see if I can find McLaurie
Jan 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM

You found me (by accident) & I'm flattered by the request. Unfortunately I don't know the St Remy area at all. I can help with the coast & up into the hills though (Monaco to St Tropez) I'm also confused by several things in your post.

1. Why avoid renting a car, yet consider a van??? The roads in Provence & the South of France can be quite narrow. A large car can be a problem getting through some streets. A van would be worse. Am I missing something here? IMO, you need a car.

2. Are you considering St Remy as the location to rent something with friends or the base for the week alone?
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. For a while I was flying blind on planning. Now I am a bit better.

I saw a post where you talked of a house that could be rented and had grounds keepers. I can't even remember the locale now, but I know it must have been in an area I was thinking of.

I am looking for a house in July to rent with friends. I am looking at staying in Avignon as the home base b/c then we can do day trips to Arles, Provence, Orange, etc.,.

We will have to rent a car I am sure. And you are right, the van would be silly!

I've found a few homes to rent on the water in the Toulon area and Marseille. But, unfotunately they are very pricey. I think since we have a group that a house would be best. Also, the areas I just mentioned don't allow us to do that many day trips. I know a central area would be much better.
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:25 AM

The smaller the car the better. You'll never get a parking space with a large car, nor would you be able to drive through villages, as she says the streets(and some roads) are VERY narrow.
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

I would like to fly to Paris, and then take a train and be "carless" for the trip. But, it doesn't seem that we can do that and then get to the smaller towns. Am I right for thinking this?
Jan 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM

You can from Avignon, there are wonderful excursion buses. I'll see if I can find a thread and top it for you.
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cig. I saw the thread and replied.

I guess I am having a hard time b/c I hate being trapped in a bus or van with a ton of people. If it's hot outside it can be miserable.

One trip to Europe I was on bikes and it was gorgeous. I loved being out and being able to smell the grass on the hillside of the Alps and hear the cows mooing in the meadow.

I will not have that again but I would like to come close to it.