Need a car in St Remy?

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Need a car in St Remy?

We like what we hear about staying in St Remy, but are wondering if we need a car? We plan to visit Arles, Camargue, Nimes, and maybe some of Northern Provence if we have time (a week). We plan to stay in one place and do day trips. Can we get around without a car from St Remy? Or should we be in Arles?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I think you should rent a car. St Remy
is much smaller that Arles. Better
base, I don't know.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM

You'll need a car whether you base yourself in St-Rémy or Arles to get around.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Try Autoeurope, got a car for 7 days from nice AP for under $600.00
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM

St. Remy is a nice town but a week there is much too much. A car is a must in St. Remy or Arles or anyplace else in Provence. Bus service is spotty and trains even less useful.

Larry J
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:05 AM

As everyone else has said, you will want a car to explore the region wherever you base yourselves.

I don't think a week-long stay in St. Remy with day trips to the places you mention would be boring. We stayed 2 1/2 weeks in Noves, a village north of St. Remy, took daily outings and enjoyed the area very much. I like staying somewhere where I can get to know the town/neighborhood and go back to the same cafes, the same bakery very day for baguettes, the same stores for groceries, etc.

Calvin Trillin has a good essay called "Hanging Around in Uzes" which talks about the charms of staying in one place and getting to know it a little. (Uzes is another great town for a base, BTW)

It is true that Arles is bigger and would have more to do right in the city. I have been twice on day trips but have never stayed overnight and have not seen everything I would like to there.
Also, most of the places you want to see except for "some of Northern Provence" are slightly closer to Arles than to St. Remy.

I would probably choose based mostly on where you can find a hotel (or rental?) that appeals to you and on whether you prefer a smaller or larger town/city.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is helpful. We don't want to spend tons of time driving, but do want to get where we want to go! We like to stay in one place and make it our home base. It works well, and we get to know the town and some of the people. We're over 50, like to hike, not into "night life", but love the sights, tastes, and people when we travel.

I will check out AutoEurope. One of our party of 4 is over 6 feet tall so vehicle size is an issue. We're thinking small van.