Is May a good time for Amalfi Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my travel books say that Spring or Fall are the best times for the Amalfi Coast.

I'm not sure what qualifies as Spring on Amalfi Coast, but we had planned on going in early May.

We like the weather warm but not hot or cold (low 70s is perfect to us), very little chance of rain and we would like to go when the flowers are out. We just got back from Savannah (early May) and were a little disappointed because we thought we'd see lots of flowers, and their "Spring" had gone by. We don't care about it bein beach or pool weather.

We also want to make sure the hydrofoils will be running when we go, as we are spending 1/2 our time on Capri and then 1/2 our time in Positano.

I've also checked Italian Holidays, and as far as I can tell, May Day - May 1st is the only Holiday in May. Is that true?
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:47 AM

My husband and I just returned from a two week vacation. The weather was perfect. We were in the Cinque Terre, Tuscany, and Amalfi Coast. It was mid 70's during the day and 60ish at night where you needed a sweater. It rained one day only but prior to our arrival it had rained straight for two weeks so i guess we were blessed. The flowers in bloom were roses in profusion, poppies, bouganvillea, etc. It smelled like perfume all the time. The boats will run - we took one from Amalfi. We stayed in Ravello which is a must see. It has the best views. Positano is wonderful - Amalfi is not great - dont spend time there. Go to Ravello if you can. Capri is beautiful but pretty touristy. Might want to hire a car or prepare to do a lot of walking to get to the main sites. The hydrofoils are fun too.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:16 AM

Hi Wandere
Just back from Amalfi Coast. The weather was very good. It was 23C during the day (I don't know Farenheit). It was sunny & warm. Just one day of rain with the same temperature. Beautiful greenary. Loved Amalfi & Positano & Sorento. I think June will be too hot & too crowded to travel there. There is no holiday in May. Capri was Beautiful.
Meira
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:14 AM
ira

>There is no holiday in May.

Meira<

Hi Meira,

What about May 1st?

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I thought May 1st was May Day - a Holiday in Italy. Any Italians out there that can answer for sure - anything closed that day or the following Monday?

It sounds like the end of May is better than the beginning of May - less chance of rain?? 70s during the day and 60s (sweater needed) at night is perfect - just what we are looking for.
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:51 AM

We were in the Sorrento/Amalfi area this month from May 8th til the 22nd...It was cooler the 1st week (needed a sweater during the day )but once it warmed up it was just beautiful! About Capri,.... we were disappointed, but later went to the island of Ischia for 2 days and spent 3! As I mentioned in a previous thread, we had a fabulous time and a great taxi/guide for those days...I agree that the town of Amalfi is just OK but don't miss Ravello and the Villa Cimbrone. We ended up using some hydrofoils and some bigger boats; it didn't matter really.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:09 PM

I am glad you enjoyed your time here in Ravello
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:33 AM

Just back from 3 weeks in Italy. We arrived in Milan on the 1st of May and it rained for 9 days. It was also very cold. I would suggest you plan a holiday in Amalfi from the second week in May as the weather was very nice from then on.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:33 AM

Defintely last two weeks of May. I was just there during the first two weeks of May and it rained a lot. I plan to go back next year but will defintely go at the end of May to very early June. But regardless of the weather, it is a magical place.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:11 AM

We have had an unusually large amount of rain particularly in April and early May but temeratures are now fine with the odd day of rain such as Sunday.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM

We just returned from our honeymoon, 5/24 through 6/2. Weather was perfect during the day but very chilly at night. Wished that we packed more long pants and jackets. . . good excuse to go shopping, I guess! We only had one day of rain and it didn't last long at all. Just makes layering a necessity. Lots of tourists already there at this time, but it wasn't high season just yet so we got good deals on hotel rooms.