Is Kufstein worth a stopover?

Jul 9th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Is Kufstein worth a stopover?

We are travelling from Zurich to Munich by rail and want a stopover on the way. Is the place to stay Kufstein?
Jul 10th, 2003, 09:34 AM

I'm not familiar with the train route as we usually drive while in Germany, but there must be plenty of worthwhile stopovers.

I didn't find Kufstein on my map, what area is it in? Do you know what your choices are and the amount of time that you will have available?

Someone could help if you provide a few more details.
Jul 10th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Intrepid

Unless you are purposely routing yourself this way the usual services Zurich-Munich do not run via Kufstein which is waay out of the way vs. the more usual route of St. Margrethen/Lindau (in Austria) and then on to Munich. In fact, EC 191 runs this route daily with no changes required. One place you might consider on this more usual route would be St. Gallen and/or the close-by Appenzell. The former has a magnificent abbey church (supposedly one of the most beautiful church interiors in all of Switzerland) as well as the legendary library. Appenzell is a small nearby village around which the scenery is so sterotypically "Swiss" that you'd swear it is fake. Another possibility might be to look for somwehere around nearby Lake Constance to stop off.
I am certain others here will offer more specific information

Jul 10th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Intrepid is correct- though quite nice Kufstein is out of the way. On the direct route from Zurich to Munich you might want to consider Lindau- just over the border into Germany. It is a delightful small city on a small island just off shore in Lake Constance. Check it out on www.lindau.de. Click on "tourismus" and you will find English pages. Another option would be Innsbruck, or better yet the small Bavarian towns just over the border (ie.Mittenwald etc.). Enjoy!
Jul 10th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Intrepid

Sorry for the inaccuracy re Lindau..CharlieB is correct as to its location being in Germany (I was thinking instead of Bregenz). Lake Constance is a wonderful area to visit. Enjoy!

Jul 11th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Kufstein is great.

In fact, I know Kufstein quite well. It is a wonderful small to mid sized city with a great castle to explore.

I have been in Kufstein a dozen times since this is the town that the hotel owners come to to pick me up with when I stay in the Elmau and Going area of Austria.

Elmau or Going, are 2 really nice Austrian villages that can be easily reached from Kufstein in less than 30 minutes by car, about an hour by local bus.

There are so few tourists in Kufstein or in the part of Austria that I like so much.

There are some very nice restaurants that sit along a pretty good sized river that runs through Kufstein. There is an unbelievable castle that could be exlored for days. It is a great little place to stop for a few hours. Very few tourists, good food and nice scenery. You won't be dissapointed.

I would even recommend staying 45 minutes to an hour from Kufstein. You'll be in Elmau, Going, or even St Johann.

Have fun travelling