Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it too late to plan a trip to Italy for summer 2003?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:01 PM
Ronda

My husband told me after our last trip to Europe that we were NOT under any circumstances going to Europe this coming summer. Now it seems he is changing his mind since he realized that our son will soon be gone from home and my husband's chance to take him to Italy and see his homeland will have passed.<BR><BR>So what do you think. Is it too late to plan a trip for this coming May/June? This trip would be an unplanned expense. hummmmm 10 days - 2 weeks, mileage airfare... We have traveled inexpensively before staying in moderate hotels and B&amp;B's. What do you think it would cost us? Would like to do Venice, Sienna, Florence, Cinque Terra but not necessarily Rome. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:16 PM
M

I think it is definitely NOT too late to plan for May/June, provided that you start planning this month. The weather is typically pleasant during those times, but do keep in mind that June is also the beginning of high season at the resorts.<BR><BR>You can search for hotels in your destination on this website for more details. Good luck.<BR><BR>M

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:32 PM
Rick

Consider going in April when the weather is good and there are few tourists. Airfares are also cheaper. March may be cheaper yet though it could be a bit chilly (not cold). However, if your son has school, then June is ok.<BR><BR>The only reason one should plan in advance is so you can shop for airfares. Passports and hotels can be booked quickly.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:47 PM
Chet

Hi Ronda:<BR><BR>It certainly is not too late to plan a May/June trip, BUT, if you are planning to use mileage for your air transportation, lock that up NOW before you commit to hotels, etc.<BR>Having done more than 10 trips to Italy from California, I would like to offer the following suggestions:<BR>1. Plan your itinerary to fly into Florence and return from Venice. <BR>2. Don't rent your car until you are ready to leave Florence. You don't need one in the city, and avoiding an airport pickup saves 15% airport tax.<BR>You can drop your car at Piazzale Roma in Venice with no surcharge. There is convenient transportation to the sirport from Venice.<BR>I suggest you check with Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.com) for your rental. I have used them several times with good rates and service. Since CDW and theft insurance is mandatory in Italy, be prepared to spend $550 to $600 per week for a stick shift midsize with air. Order a diesel; fuel is readily available, 30% cheaper than gas, and performance and mileage better than gas. <BR>3. For the three of you sharing a room, a reasonable budget, excluding airfare and auto expenses would be in the order of 300 to 450 euro per day., broken down as follows: Hotel 150-200; meals &amp; snacks 100-175; misc &amp; sightseeing 50-75.<BR>4. I can strongly recommend a hotel in Venice: Hotel Wildner (www.veneziahotels.com; email [email protected]). It is right on the lagoon near San Zaccaria vaporetto stop. Convenient location; walkable to St. Marks &amp; Doges Palace. Rate for a lagoon view double in Oct, 2001 was $180 per night, including breakfast. Triple would be a little higher. Rooms without a view are cheaper.<BR>5. A good website for other Italy hotels is www.venere.it<BR>6. Finally, for the places you listed, I would suggest the following itinerary:<BR>Florence, 3 or 4 days, with a visit to Pisa on the way to Sienna; Siena, 2 or 3 days with day trip to Volterra/San Gimignano; Cinque terra 2 or 3 days; Venice, rest of your time. I would allow a minimum of 4 days. <BR>Hope this info is of value to you.<BR>Ciao, Chet<BR> <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 08:51 PM
Jennifer

I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not! I frequently plan trips to Europe, and they're usually made two weeks to 2 months in advance. I find that I usually get the best prices if I don't plan too far in advance. Many of the hotel managers on betting on the paranoia of some travelers if they don't book months in advance!<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:56 AM
Ronda

Well, Rick, April would be lovely except we have to wait for everyone to begin their summer college breaks.<BR><BR>Yes, Jennifer, I'm for real. I wish I could plan a trip the way you do - last minute but unfortunately, I like to know exactly where I'm going to sleep and how to get there. I find that many of the hotels I would like to stay at are booked if I don't start early. I'd love to hear more on how you &quot;don't plan&quot; a trip. This is how my son would like to travel.<BR><BR>Chet, thanks for the great information. Actually there will be 4 of us - 2 college age kids. I have run into problems in the Loire in France not having a car and not being able to get where I want however, this is a budget trip.<BR><BR>I really would like to use trains as much as possible. Have you ever used that Kilometeric Ticket? That would be quite a savings over a car rental. Perhaps rent a car in some areas. Wouldn't need it in Florence, Venice, Cinque Terra but perhaps Sienna and countryside.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
Rex

It's hard to get a good car rental price when you plan to use mostly train, and just sporadic &quot;car days&quot; here and there - - EXCEPT for the package price of Rail'n'Drive offered by raileurope.com<BR><BR>This is one of the few good deals offered by raileurope.com in my opinion - - for thise people who do NOT want a car for an extended period and DO plan, generally, on using the train a fair amount.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:43 AM
xxxxx

TTT

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:46 AM
carlo nocentini

Hotels and restaurant are a little expensive. B&amp;B, or apartments less. <BR>Renting apartments you have fully kitchen, and you can eat some time at home (even buying all - ready for eat- in a commercial center).<BR>If interested in an aprtment in Florence look at www.genie.it/utenti/carlo.nocentini

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:12 AM
My Lejj

<BR>Unless you want to cash in frequent-flyer miles, it's probably not that late to plan an Italy trip.<BR><BR>If you want to cash in FF miles, you're probably S.O.L. because these seats fill up FAST for summer travel. You might could get FF seat for shoulder-season and off-season travel, but for summer 2003, you can probably forget it.