Is it really necessary?

Search

Is it really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really necessary?

Is it really necessary to book an online reservation with SNCF for a train trip from Paris to Bayeux?

They have simplified their website now and their online booking appears to be much better. Their website states that from Paris to Bayeux that "booking is recommended" for my early morning train ride.

I would hate to arrive that morning and not be able to get a ticket for my tour in Bayeux.

I believe I read someone's post on here that they booked on the SNCF website, got to the train station to get their ticket, and had to pay again. SNCF states that I can get my prepaid ticket from a kiosk. Should I or should I not?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 02:49 AM

Don't have a definitive answer on that one, but suggest you re-post your question with a more specific heading, eg. Train Trip from Paris to Bayeux.
That way you will attract the attention of people with knowledge on that subject who may be skipping over your question.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:28 AM
ira

Hi CT,

If it is important that you make a particular train, book ahead.

When you book your ticket online you get a confirmation number(like an e-ticket for an airline). Bring this number *and* the credit card used to make the reservation. They will swipe your card to confirm. You will not be double-billed unless you don't bring that card.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:36 AM

My recollection is that a ticket and a reservation are two separate things. A ticket gets you on the train; a reservation guarantees you a seat. Thus, if you get tickets, but no reservations, you may find a seat, or you may have to stand. They may be recommending reservations because the early morning train is commonly crowded, but I doubt they would refuse to sell a ticket, even at the last minute.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:50 AM

I have booked on-line with no problems. In the bigger stations you will find an e-ticket machine to swipe the credit card you used. Or, you can go to the window, But be sure to have prints of your reservations and the card you used with you.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM

I have booked the same trip on the SNCF website for May of this year. I received 2 emails (both in French which I don't speak/read terribly well) from SNCF in response and one read that I have to pick up my "reservations" at an SNCF office within 7 days. Does anyone know if this applies to the reservation only or is this the tickets (which have assigned seats) as well? It's very confusing because one email tells me that I can pick up the tickets up to the time of travel, but the other email tells me I have 7 days. Has anyone experienced this? If so, do I have reserved seats or do just have to take our chances. The tickets are for a holiday weekend so we're a bit worried about not having reservations. Thanks.