Is it even possible??

Jul 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Is it even possible??

My sister and I will have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt from Athens on a Sunday in October. Will it even be possible to get out of the airport and see anything in Frankfurt instead of sitting around the airport all day?

We have never traveled out of the US, so this is very new to us.
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Next time, write a better title to your thread.

But anyways, you can go somewhere. There's S-bahn (short distance commuter train) to Frankfurt from the airport, and there are also other regional trains to various towns around it. Check out this very current thread:

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=35029549
Jul 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM
JN

If I had 8 hours, especially if luggage is checked through to Athens, I'd go somewhere--at least for lunch and a little walking around. Wiesbaden, for example, is 40 minutes away. Likewise Mainz, with it's intersting Altstadt, is 20 minutes or so away by train.
Jul 14th, 2007, 05:59 AM

I would also recommend Mainz. We stayed there one night before a flight out from Frankfurt. It has a beautiful setting on a major river (forget which one), a cathedral, and the Gutenberg Museum, with some of the original printed Bibles to see. Eight hours is too long to sit in an airport and long enough to go somewhere and get back without rushing.

I haven't been in Frankfurt itself, but someone else may have more information on it so that that would be another option.

I just re-read your post and see you will be there on a Sunday. I don't know if the museum will be open -- but it might be, because museums are often open on Sundays and then closed on Mondays.
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:06 AM

I just looked at the thread recommended by rkkwan and was reminded of the wonderful church in Mainz that has the Chagall windows. They are GORGEOUS and definitely worth a trip to Mainz in my opinion unless you don't like Chagall (or blue windows!).