Frankfurt....what to do?

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt....what to do?

What is there to do in Frankfurt? My husband and I are flying in and out of there for our Germany trip as we did last time. Last time we stayed downtown at a hotel and went walking in the evening and ended up in a serious redlight district. Interesting and mildy frightening. If we end up there earlier on our last day-is there anything really wonderful to do or see?
Thanks!
Also-any hotel suggestions for an early flight out?
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:44 AM

Just got back from Germany ...I would skip Frankfurt and stay in Mainz or Wiesbaden - both much more scenic and walkable and easy train trip to the airport.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:25 AM

SLC,

Frankfurt is no stranger to criticism on this site, and that's too bad as it has its attractions. Indeed, I was there not very long ago and had the pleasure of experiencing a few sites. Consider the following:

Goethe Haus: You needn't be a fan of the great German poet to enjoy this attraction, as you'll get a good sense of what life was like in 18th century Frankfurt;

Romerberg: A short stroll from the Goethe Haus is this square, where you'll find the intriguing Church of St. Nicholas. This very small church dates from the 13th century;

Dom: Not far from the above attraction is Frankfurt's Cathedral, which is well worth a visit, as it features many fine works of art;

Historical Museum: Frankfurt has on offer numerous museums, but its history museum is noteworthy for several reasons, not the least of which is part of the museum is housed in the oldest - 12th century - surviving building in Frankfurt;

Time Out: Finally, make a point of strolling Frankfurt's Sachsenhausen, a pedestrians-only area that features many fine eateries and places for a glass of wine (or two).

Enjoy Frankfurt!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I can get to Frankfurt on a direct flight from where I live, which makes it look interesting to me. I've read enough threads here to know that it doesn't hold too much appeal even though we would only have four days.

So if I can get to Frankfurt and only have four full days, where should I head after touchdown? I assume it would need to be via train and preferably directly from the airport.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
yk

Head straight to the Rhine, take a cruise along the river. Do a search on Rhine here and you'll get plenty of ideas.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Do you mean a day cruise or a multiple day cruise up and down the river?
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:34 PM

There are interesting botanical gardens in Frankfurt ( called Palm Garden I think ) but I agree with leahinsc that Weisbaden is a much more beautiful and interesting place.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 03:37 PM
yk

The most scenic part on the Rhine is between Koblenz and Rudesheim. The trip is about 5 hrs. There are many towns along the way which you can get off and tour/stay overnight etc.

Another scenic portion is the Mosel River, which one can also cruise (about 2-3 hrs) and the Mosel ends in Koblenz where it meets up with the Rhine.

K-D cruise line serves both rivers. Go to k-d.com for schedule.

Another possibility is Luxembourg City, which is about 2.5hrs from Frankfurt.

Or you can tour Cologne and Bonn only. There are plenty of options, even if you do a search here on Frankfurt (and daytrip ideas), you'll find lots of ideas.

BTW, I found a cheap flight back in July 2003 from the E coast to Frankfurt. I bought the ticket before I did my research on Frankfurt. I ended up going to Luxembourg City, Trier, Mosel River, Rhine, Bonn, Mainz, Heidelberg and Frankfurt; all in 5 days. It was very rushed, but just to give you an idea.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 03:01 AM

SLC--what time of the year will you be in Germany? It makes a difference.