Frankfurt layover

Apr 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Frankfurt layover

I have an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt before flying back to Canada from a Barcelona/Languedoc vacation. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fill that time in terms of sights/things to do?
The time frame would be from about 9am to 3pm, on a Saturday. Thank you in advance.

Bloom
Apr 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
yk

There's definitely enough time for you to go into the city. You can take the S-bahn from the train station at Frankfurt airport, and get off at Hauptwache. It's only a 15-20 min ride. From there, you can go visit Romerberg and Kaiserdome etc.
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM

I agree with yk...you can definitely spend a few hours wandering around the shopping district in Frankfurt. If the weather is nice, head down to the river and take a little boat cruise. It's inexpensive and a good way to rest your feet and get a nice view of Frankfurt.

Make sure you are heading back to the airport with lots of time to get through security to catch your flight. The security gates can be a bit confusing at the airport ("which level was I on again"?), but you should be fine.

Enjoy!
Apr 13th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Other possibilities:
The art museum has an excellent collection.
Mainz with an impressive Romanesque cathedral, the Gutenberg museum and a verypleasant old town area
It is right on the S-bahn from the airport.

As always, you should choose depending on what you like--and probably think about what would work best if the weather is bad.
Apr 13th, 2007, 04:38 AM

We have a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt. I'd rather not go into town as it will be early morning (5.30-10.30am) but could anyone enlighten me as to what there is to eat/do at the airport. Any breakfast places other than the dreaded golden arches?
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

tyvm for your help...
I should have specified that I prefer 'outdoor museums', like interesting architecture, statues and monuments, parks, and bohemian-type neighbourhoods with neat cafes and shops.
Can anyone suggest where I could find such things in Frankfurt?

ty,
Bloom
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone advise me on how I could possibly get on an earlier flight to go back home? (It's a really long travel day and I'd much rather not have to spend the day in Frankfurt) I fly into Frankfurt at around 9 am and my flight with Air Canada doesn't leave til around 5 pm... I'm wondering if they'll let me get on an earlier flight if there's an available seat
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:32 AM

I second museums. Another recommendation is Palmengarten botanical garden. Also walking around Roemer.

As for dining at the aiport, Terminal 1 has much better choice. There is a nice bistro before security that seemed open for breakfast.
Apr 30th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I took the S Bahn into the city (about 3 euros, 20 min ride), walked to the old part of town, had a "milchcaffe" at a cafe, then went to the Gutenberg Museum (well worth the 6 euros.)
I also stopped at an Internet Cafe- I found three on my walk to to the old town. (I couldn't get the one at the airport to work.)
Keep in mind that the shops in Frankfurt are closed on Sundays, but the museums and cafes are open.
I would advise others to make their way back to the airport early- it's quite large and and a bit confusing. It took me, as well as another woman I spoke to, almost an hour to find our way to the train depot.

Happy travels,
Bloom