is ISCHIA too much like CAPRI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if we spend 5 nights on capri, would going to ischia be too much of the same thing?
we like beach vacations and we're going in july.
we are travellers who do NOT sightsee in museums and churches...we like to laze around in the sun, eat and do a little shopping...
also, what part of ischia is the nicest?
the punta molino hotel looks really nice from its website as does the albergo san montano...
thanks!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Ischia feels much bigger than Capri. It has a large concentration of German tourists doing spa treatments--coming to breakfast in slippers and bathrobes, etc. There are several towns on the island. We liked the little one on the very end best--probably something like san angelo. We stayed at the Hotel San Montano and loved it. Nice hotel. Great pool, tremendous views. Ischia is probably like Capri like Florence is like Siena but if you're into Tuscan towns you see both. So if you're into Italian islands, there's no harm in seeing both. Enjoy.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:26 AM

I love Capri & have spent 2 separate week-long stays there. I'm also very into mainly lazing around, interspersed with the odd short stroll & lots of eating & drinking. But there isn't much in the way of beaches on Capri - just a few very small stony bathing areas where the current can be quite strong. But if you are happy with a pool with a view, it's lovely.

Going to Ischia myself for the first time this June. I get the impression that it is much bigger and there are more sights to see - castles, gardens etc. I gather it also has sandy beaches.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:40 AM

Crumpet - The attractions are completely different IMO.

Capri for its dramatic scenery. Ischia for its beaches and spa resorts. I especially liked Forio and S. Angelo.

http://www.ischiaonline.it/
http://www.capri.net/

Steve
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

thanks for info..
where are the best sandy beaches in ischia? i know that capri will be sunning at the pool so i'd like to get some beach time too... we're happy with pools but it would be nice to have a change...
what town is the san montano in?
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Keep in mind to, and I'm unsure if Capri has the same, Ischia is a dormant volcano, it has natural hot springs, beaches where you can bury a potato in the sand to cook it! Also, unsure once again in regards to Capri, limoncello is a big local thing, and its everywhere.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:42 AM

Capri doesn't have hot springs.

Limoncello is every where in that region.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM
bellastarr

Capo Sant'angelo has a godd stretch of beach,
and of you go to the little town of Panza (which is on the way to Capo sant'angelo, there is a small rocky beach there where the thermal waters flow directly into the sea, turning the tidal pools into natural "hot tubs". As of my visit 2 years ago, it was free.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Crumpet - Sant'Angelo had a nice beach. There was another one reachable by boat from there - though we didn't go.

You might find this link useful:

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/campani...a/beaches.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM

That would be Maronti Beach. Dark sand and some hot rocks from the "dormant" volcano. Dormant, but not dead.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM

re: the hot springs in Panza that bellastar mentioned -- still free as of last June. We did buy drinks from the restaurant as a courtesy (perhaps expected) since they let us use their little bathroom/changing room (and thanks bellastar, because I think I got the Panza hot springs tip from you...still dreaming of it!).

As mentioned above, Ischia (and Procida, I think) are geologically different islands than Capri. The thermal waters are supposed to be very healing. Who knows, but we certainly soaked as much as we could, and felt fantastic the whole time (the local wine didn't hurt, either).

If you aren't there in July and August, it shouldn't be too crowded. If you click on my name you can bring up a post from last spring with a lot of good information I got from other fodorites.