Is Hotel Trevi too far away from attractions like St. Peter's Basilica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were given a good price but we are wondering if it is too far away from Saint Peter's Basilica, Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel. Any information would be helpful.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
AR

The Hotel Trevi is not too far from the Trevi fountain and is therefore convenient for sights such as the Colosseum.
As for being too far away from the Vatican, well it is quite a distance (walking wise) but unless you intend to spend your time exclusively in the Vatican, I can't imagine that it could be considered "too far". If you can get all the way to Rome then surely a bus or taxi wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for a one off visit to the Vatican? The hotel will be central for the rest of the sights.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:12 PM

I walk a lot in every city I visit as I find it is the best way to learn the city and get a good feel for it. I can walk from Trevi to St. Peter's in about 30 minutes with ease.

Larry J
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:43 PM

Hotel Trevi is very convenient for all sites in the historical center. You can walk about 300m and get to the metro for the Vatican, or there is probably a city bus that is very close by that you could take, although I'm not sure exactly where you'd get it.

If your main purpose for visiting Rome is to go to the Vatican, then you might consider a hotel near the Vatican, but most visitors prefer one in the historical center.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:49 PM

My main concern about this hotel are the TripAdvisor reviews that mention the guests who were placed in another hotel, four miles outside the city.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM

We stayed at the Trevi in 2001 and it was very nice and we walked all over Rome from our Hotel. We walked to St. Peters from the Hotel but made many stops on the way and back. The Trevi had a rooftop restaurant for breakfast(Included), not a great view since it is only 3 stories and partially vine covered. The elevator and halls were very small but the rooms were comfortable.
They also held our luggage all day when we checked out since we weren't taking the train until 11pm, and called a taxi for us when we came back for our luggage.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:07 AM

Most people WANT to be in the main historic area and just do a daytrip via taxi or bus/metro over to the Vatican. Outside of St. Peter's, the area over there is not a preferred area for seeing Rome. Hotel Trevi would be in a great area for sightseeing and enjoying Rome.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:42 PM

No offense, Dutyfree, the the area around the Vatican and from the Vatican to....say...Piazza Navona....is real Rome. Local restaurants and a wonderful walk. Mingle with locals. That's the best.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:06 PM

I'm sure someone here knows for sure but my best recollection is that most of the tourist attractions are within a triangle from the termini train station to the colliseum to the Vatican and it is about 3 kilometers on a side. Trevi fountain (and I assuse the hotel) is just about in the center of the triangle. Although cobblestones can be rough on the feet you should have no trouble walking it, just look out for the motor scooters.