Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Discover card widely accepted in W. Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Amelia

Hello all: I know from 2 previous trips that Visa and MC are almost always accepted almost everywhere, but wondered about taking Discover on next trip as a backup (in case I do too much shopping Not that I would...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Andre

Amelia,<BR><BR>Leave your Discover card at home - it's useless in Europe.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Howard

Andre is correct. Forget about the Discover Card in Europe. I suggest you get a second Visa or MasterCard as a backup.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:04 PM
de

Went to Europe last summer for 3 weeks and found that the Discover card is useless. Definately Visa or MC.<BR>Getting cash with your bank card from ATm's was easy, also.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:27 PM
janis

Discover Card is only valid in North America. Discover card company policy . . . .

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:04 PM
xxx

Discovercard is not accepted in Europe. Europe accepts only MC, Visa, and Amex mostly.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:12 PM
understand

Everybody! IT IS NOT THAT EUROPE DOES NOT ACCEPT DISC. CARD. Discover CHOOSES to not be usable outside of USA and Canada.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:29 PM
xxx

I thought that's what I said. Okay it's not "USABLE". That's a better word, isn't it?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:33 PM
YouGottaBeKidding!

Talk about a distinction without a difference! Discover is NOT the card to bring to Europe. Period.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Debbie

NO!! We went to Germany, Italy and France last summer and in Germany and northern Italy the ONLY card they took was Mastercard!!! I only had a Visa and I was out of luck at most places. Hope this helps. France took everything.<BR><BR>Debbie

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Little Sir Echo

How many nos does it take? Don't you people ever read the previous posts?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:36 PM
blah blah blah

Yes Mr I do read the previous threads! But maybe they wanted more than 1 opinion!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:49 AM
clairobscur

The Visa card isn't accepted in France??<BR>You should have told me that before. I've been stupidely using it during the 15 last years. I'm wondering what will happen to me when the thousands of people who accepted it by mistake will realize their error....

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:52 AM
clairobscur

Little Sir,<BR><BR>People who repeated the same information were right to do so. If I was asking such a question, I wouldn't be satisfied with only one answer, since I wouldn't be sure that this person isn't mistaken. I would by far prefer to read a dozen posts all saying the same thing.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:08 AM
kate

Debbie, that's very odd what you said about Visa. I've never found a place in Europe that took Mastercard and not Visa. In fact, the only place I've ever found that happen was in a restaurant in Manhattan.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:50 PM
sandra

Please let us not forget Diners Club is widely accepted in Europe, it is far more accepted then Amex. Diners Club is issued by Citibank and gives great points and services.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:10 AM
Penny

We live on the France/Germany border and can use both Visa and Mastercard everywhere in France (sometimes you have to point out that your card doesn't have a "puce" - French-issued cards are almost always debit cards with a chip). Germany is another story. Many establishments do not accept credit cards of any kind (this includes major department stores, so check before you start shopping/dining).

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:55 AM
Les

clairobscur:<BR>Please read Debbie's posting again - carefully.<BR>She said, "France took everything."

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:07 AM
xxx

Visa is a standard card in every single European country.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:22 AM
Discover

Discover Card stinks!<BR>Their customer Service (WHAT Customer Service?) Stinks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -