Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is day pass to airport Crown Room worth the money?

Is day pass to airport Crown Room worth the money?

May 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
aj
Original Poster

Is day pass to airport Crown Room worth the money?

We are leaving Tues for Italy. Due to airline changes out of our control we now have a 10 hour lay over in Atlanta. We have been in and out of Atlanta many times but never used the Delta Crown Room. They say a day pass is $30.00. I am thinking it might be worth it if the seats are comfortable and there is TV we can select. Any advice?
Thanks for all the help over the past travel years.
May 2nd, 2008, 06:42 AM

I think this money is worth it.

They have comfortable chairs, coffee and tea. There is internet hookup and tv.
They also have some complimentary snacks, although I wouldn't plan on being very satisfied with those for real food.
Also, some clubs offer sandwiches for a price.
There is a full cash bar.

If you are not planning to leave the airport, it is worth the money.
May 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM

Drinks are free at the Orlando Crown room
May 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM

It would be worth it to me just to get the comfy chairs!

But there's another possibility. For 2 (I presume) that $60 could also be spent on a cab to take you somewhere to walk around and have a relaxing meal. 10 hours should be ample time to do that. If the weather turned bad just stick with the original plan and buy the day pass to the Crown Room -- assuming you can do so at the last minute.

I don't know Atlanta that well (except for the airport!). But it's worth considering.
May 2nd, 2008, 07:14 AM
aj
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think hubby will want to leave the airport but that would be my fist choice!!! We don't check our bags so we will not want to drag them around Atlanta. I would probably just set in Airport chair for 10 hours and spend the money in the GIFT STORES!
May 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM

...spend the money in the GIFT STORES

Another option! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL!
On the other hand, given a 10 hr wait, I would happily shell out $30 for the nice chairs, restrooms, snacks, drinks, etc.

In fact, you even have time to get that "good night's" sleep the rest of us are always plotting on the way over!
May 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM

BTW, I would take my own snacks.

Just before my last trip, precious niece gave me the cutest little pink insulated lunch bag. My sister and I ordered wine at the piano bar in the middle of the Atlanta Int'l terminal.

In my lunch bag I had a little red check tablecloth (really an over-sized napkin), good cheese, honey-crisp apples, roasted almonds, pepperoni slices, and some fabulous dark chocolate. We had a great little picnic, piano and all.

In keeping with our jet-lag routine, we then went to a restaurant and got a bowl of hot soup. By the time we got on the plane were were ready for zzzzzzzzz.
May 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM

For a $10 layover, I think $30 is fair. However, I am pretty sure it is $30 per person, if that changes your mind.

And, while I am not sure if you will get it in time, you might also look into a 60-day Northwest WorldClub membership, which runs $85, but will be good for any other travel you do in that period (return flight?). It is accepted at Delta, Northwest, Continental, KLM, Air France, and many other clubs. It will cover the cardholder + 2 guests (or cardholder + husband/wife + children).
May 3rd, 2008, 06:39 AM

I don't know how much you travel and if it would be worth it to you but I just joined Priority Pass.

They have three different levels of membership.

Since I am making three International trips this Summer with long lay overs I decided to go for it.

You can use it at over 500 lounges, they claim, and in a lot of different countries.

I know it is getting more popular as when I signed in at Pittsburgh and Houston, they use a special sign in sheet for PP members and there were quite a few names listed.

Have a great trip.

Search this Thread