Is Clifden worth a trip?

Search

Is Clifden worth a trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Clifden worth a trip?

I haven't seen Clifden mentioned on this forum. Has anyone been there? Is it worth a day trip from Galway? Has anyone stayed at the Quay House?
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM

If you are doing a day trip from Galway, Clifden is easily one of the stops as you tour Connemara.

I spent three days in a B&B at the edge of town. I don't remember much memorable about Clifden itself, except for a couple of very good evening meals. However, there is lots to see in the area--wonderful scenery. Connemara national Park and Kylemore Abbey are among the places to visit. It is not far to the ferry to Inishboffin for a day trip. Leenaune (sp?) is close by. there are interesting craft shops there; it as at the head of Ireland's only fiord. so Clifden makes a good spot for touring the area and there are lots of good restaurants and pubs for the evening eats and listening pleasure.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM

We spent several days in Clifden a few years ago, and I thought it was one of Ireland's more charming towns. The Quay House by the harbor is the oldest building in Clifden and an excellent B&Bif you decide to stay longer. Paddy and Julia are wonderful hosts. As already mentioned, there are several good restaurants.

Clifden offers a number of walks and places to cycle as well as several interesting places to visit including Connemara National Park, Connemara Heriatage and History Centre, Inishbofin Island and the Cleggan Riding Centre just to name a few. The village of Roundstone and surrounding area is also worth visiting. There's plenty to keep one busy for several days regardless of your interests. You may well find a day trip too short. Personally, I wouldn't miss it.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Glad to see the positive posts to this question. My husband and I will finally make our first trip to ireland this September. Being a John Wayne fan, I felt we needed to spend one night here to see a bit of Connemara (we are outdoor type people). I do wish we had more time, but alas so much to see, so little time.

Not to take over the original post, but the responses are making me hungry. Any specific dining options we should try to check out? It will be an early night for us, as it is our first in Ireland. Looking for local fare, moderately priced.

We are staying at Hillside Lodge. When are you looking to visit Clifden? I will be sure to write a trip report when we return. If you go before me...have a great time and post a report.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM

We cycled in Clifden a few years ago. Great roads for cycling. Absolutely the best meal I have ever had - lamb, but I can't remember the name of the place.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM

We enjoyed Clifden and Mitchells is a wonderful restaurant. We loved the Skye Drive. It is such a beautiful area.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM

We too have been to Clifden and also stayed at Quay House.A gorgeous property and lovely owners.This was several years ago but I think the owners remain the same. The scenery is stunning. We ate at the pub.The meat and seafood was delicous everywhere we went in Ireland. Very jealous..we would love to go back!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM

The wife and I spent a few days there on a trip. I loved it. We actually shifted our itinerary to stay a bit longer. I found the area beautiful and Clifden itself to be a charming and friendly town.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM

An attractive town with many restaurants.One of the best features is the Sky Road mentioned above which takes you up more than 500 feet north-west of the town.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Actually, we're looking for a place to stay in Galway and I read about Quay House and it sounded wonderful. My concerns are (1) if it's too long of a drive from Shannon airport after an overnight flight and (2) if it's a good location from which to do day trips while we're in the area before heading to Dingle.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM

I too am interested if folks think it is too far to drive to Clifden that firat day when landing in Shannon that morning.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM

ACC16, another option is the the lovely restaurant and bar at the 4 star Abbeyglen Castle Hotel just above Cliften. It's elegant but not pretentious. As you drive along the Skye Road you will see the remains of a magnificent medieval castle overlooking the ocean. Enjoy...
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM

Clifden as my second favorite town in Ireland after Dingle.
I would suggest staying overnight though, as the evening atmosphere was part of the reason I liked it so much. The Sky Road walk was amazing. It was very long, but one of the best walks I did. Great views!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM

We just spent time in Oughterard and never made it up to Clifden. If it will help you with the driving concept, we drove to the airport from Oughterard (a pretty easy 1 3/4 hour drive), so you can add the part from Clifden to calculate drive times.

And, when we arrived we first drove south down to Bantry from Shannon; this was a drive of about 3 hours, and we were fine. I don't know though that I'd stretch my first day's drive much longer than that especially if you are like us and make stops along the way for either shopping or to see something or to have lunch.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM

Clifden is certainly doable from Shannon that day, but I do think it would be exhausting.

The town is big enough to have some good restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops and evening music. We did not trek out to Kylemore Abbey from there (instead, we visited the Abbey when we moved on to Roseleague Manor right near Ballinakill Bay and the Connemara park headquarters). However, Skye Road is right "up the hill" from Quay house, and Roundhill music center is very close, too.

I've stayed at the Quay House. The breakfast may have been the best of that week's cycling trip in Ireland. Our room was a tad odd. We had a ground-floor triple. People in our group either loved their rooms or hated them (heat wave and top floors didn't bode well for sleeping).

Just so you know, we fell in love with Connemara. My husband could not be with us that week, so we made him come back two years later and more or less repeat "our trip."

Between Clifden/Skye Road and Roseleague Manor there was a pit-stop restaurant we enjoyed with the best soups and seafood: Oliver’s in Cleggan.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM

Clifden Castle, located along Sky Road, is not medieval but was built by John d'Arcy in the 19th century. Unfortunately, even the standing stones which were transported to the site are not authentic. Nevertheless, it's a wonderful place for taking pictures and musing over the antics of the d'Arcy family.