Is Brussels any good?

Old Feb 3rd, 1999, 09:59 AM
Ben

Is Brussels any good?

Any comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Old Feb 3rd, 1999, 08:57 PM
lynn

Hi -

I'm not sure what you're plans are and I think for Brussels it kind of depends.

I only went once for a day but I'll give you my opinion because having just recently gone and looked for posts about it, I know there isn't much here.

We went because we were flying through there on a good deal. We liked it. The fries and waffles you buy at little stands are excellent. The people were very nice.

A drawback is, there isn't near as much to see as other places. It really depends on what you like.

If you have to fly through there or pass through on a train, I think it's definately worth a stop. I wouldn't go out of my, however. There just isn't enough there to warrant spending extra time, money, resources, etc. that could be spent in Paris, London, Rome, or other major spot.

If you go, you probably won't need more than 2 days. You may also consider a trip to Brugges. About 1 1/2 hours away. I haven't been but have read many postings here (and seen pics) and it's supposed to be nice. But again, it doesn't require much time. Just one day.

Hope this is helpful.

Have a great trip!

Old Feb 4th, 1999, 02:13 AM
Terry

Well, it's a lot better than Geneva or Zurich.
There are some nice art nouveau buildings.
The Grand Place is a very interesting square too. Especially lit up at night.

Old Feb 4th, 1999, 06:57 AM
Matt

Ben,
Brussels is beautiful, but since it's historic center isn't all that large it is a 2 day visit. If you go spend atleast 3 hours seated at one of the over priced cafes in the Grand Place watching the world go by, that's my fondest memory of the city. If you have a few days or a week for Belgium, also try to go to Antwerp, Brugge and Ghent.
Belgium is,on the whole, one of my favorite places in Europe because of it's great food, beer and people.
Matt

PS - Belgians make better French haute cuisine than the French do!!!

Old Feb 4th, 1999, 10:15 PM
Carol

We lived in Munich for half a year and then travelled for a month. Brussels was our least favorite place. I have a good friend who lived in Brussels for a year and loved it. I imagine it is a wonderful city to live in, but as a tourist travelling through, the highlights seem too touristy. I'd look for another location.

Old Feb 5th, 1999, 03:26 AM
Jay Frank

In my opinion, the Grand Place is worth a few hours, Brugge a few days and, if you find yourself in the area, spend a Sunday at Knokke. Take care.

Old Feb 5th, 1999, 02:38 PM
Kate

Ben,
I will echo some of the previous comments. Brussels has great food, the Grand Place is nice, the chocolate is excellent, there are a couple Cathedrals/churches worth touring, but otherwise it was also my least favorite place. I'll visit Brugge any day over Brussels.

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 10:06 AM
Jeff

Ben, I was in Brussels last spring for the first time. I liked the city very much, but I wouldn't spend more than two days there. The Grand Place is beautiful and the food is fantastic. The city has some of the best chefs in the world! You should definitely go to the Ilot sacre area and if you like to shop, go to the Grand Sablon district. Also, make sure you try the chocolate.
Have a great trip!

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 03:02 PM
Cheryl Z.

I agree about allowing two days for it (it's definetly worth visiting), and then absolutely seeing Brugges, and Ghent too if time permits. But it's kind of hard giving you info since we don't know how long your trip is, what other destinations if any, is Brussels just your arrival city, etc. For instance, if you have Paris in your itinerary, for me there's no comparison - short time in Brussels and the majority in Paris!

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 06:08 PM
Randy

Ben:

My companion and I were there last Sept. We really liked Brussels. As mentioned in several of the other postings it can be done in 2-3 days. The Cathedral is interesting, it has been undergoing renovation for about 10 years and they have done a brilliant job. Grand Place is definetly worth the time. It is the city centre square where the city hall is located. Visit the royal palace and residences and take a trip to the Atomium. It is a large, tall metal structure in the shape of an atom. It was built in the '50's(?) for the world's fair. It gives a fabulous view of the city. Brugges is a must, Antwerp is great, and both Amsterdam and Paris are a relatively short train ride away. Hope this helps!

Old Feb 9th, 1999, 01:46 AM
MollyDonnelly

Ben, I have never been to Belgium except when passing thru, but a friend of mine who travels a lot in Belgium told me once to forget Brussels and go to either Antwerp or Brugges. He said there is much more to do and these cities are a lot nicer. I trust this guy. He travels all over Europe and the States and I have agreed with his assessments of places we both have been. Good luck!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Colin

The beer, the waffles, the fries with mayo, oh and the chocolates made a weekend in Brusseld very enjoyable.

But I'd go with the consensus of opinion in that there's not a great deal to see. Two days max, (plus a god day out to Brugge.)

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Sasha

Heard Bruges is much nicer !

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:19 PM
sprouts

I think their sprouts are the worst food ever invented.