Driving in Milan

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Bob

Driving in Milan

Many thanks for your help with my question about driving to Venice. We will also be driving from the Cinque Terre to the Lakes region. On the way I would like to see the duomo and "Last Supper" in Milan. I have read parking is tough in Milan. Would I be better off driving to central Milan, trying to park and see these two sights or try to park near a metro station on the outskirts of the city and taking the metro in? Any ideas on how to find out where the car parks are on the outskirts?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Rex

Having a car in Milan is a lttle bit like having a car in Paris. Not really all that tough to drive there, but it's true that parking is scarce. But parking garages do exist. Just look for the symbol "P" with a "^" on top of it. I don't think you need to truly park on the outskirts - - just outside, of course, the small inner city ring where are cars are not allowed.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:20 AM
John

Parking tickets are only 1100 Lira and you will probably get one near the Duomo! Driving is no problem. Neat city.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Joanne

Bob: Be sure to reserve a time to see the Last Supper. We went in early May and had our hotel make reservations for us. We would not have gotten in without the reservation.

The duomo is fabulous. We took the elevator up (you can walk) and walked "among the saints" and then took the stairs to the very top. The view is wonderful. The inside of the church is very beautiful as well.

I don't have the web site for reservations at my fingertips. Perhaps someone else can supply it for you.

j

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Alice Twain

parking in Milano is scarce and VERY COSTLY. A parking space in the center of Milano, if you are lucky enough to find any, can cost up to 4 euro per hour, while cheaper spaces can be found (if you are VERY VERY LUCKY) for 2.50 euro. The city council has authorized the cars to cross the center and cars are everywhere (thank you mr Albertini), but for parking on the street you must still buy "gratta e sosta" cards (official name: "sostamilano") that can be bought at newstands, tobacconists and bars. The cards are valid for up to 2 hours and cost 1.30 euro per hour. After two hours you are no more allowed parking (or at least you can stay longer, but you should go back to the car and change the card). If you opt for the "gratta e sosta" solution, ash the seller how to use the card: it is not all that easy. Also, the center has been cut in "slices" like a cake and it can't be crossed: if you enter one slice you can't move to the next (silly, isn't it?).
Imho, your best option is to leave the car at one of the several parkings lots that are close to the city (probably your best option is the parking lot in Sesto Marelli, which means in my hometown ^_^) that allow you to leave your car for the whole day (until closing hour, at 8 p.m.) for 2,10 euros and take the subway to the center of the city. For 3 euros for each person you can buy a daily pass for the whole subway, bus and tram services and lines. For further informations, check http://www.atm-mi.it/eng/default.asp.

A possible, aòternative could be visiting Milano on a daytrip from Como. In Como, right in front of the lake, there is the FNM train station, an iron building in Art Nouveau style. There is one train every half an hour and the tiket to Milano only costs 3.25 euro. The departure and the arrival of this train is really scenic, and the arrival station is in the heart of Milano: you might even consider not taking buses or subways and walking to all your destinations, since both of them are withing walking distance.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:08 PM
ttt

up