Search

Is anyone familiar with Daglan?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone familiar with Daglan?

Greetings,

We are considering a cottage rental in Daglan in the Dordogne? Is anyone familiar with the village and what thoughts do u have regarding it as a base for touring in the area? Additionally, are you familiar with how many restaurants, cafes, etc. are in the village? Many thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Robyn:

We've toured this area just recently and I recall driving through Daglan, having been to Villefranche-du-P, Besse (what a nice little village and Romanesque church!), Prats-du-P, St Pompon, on our way to Gourdon.

Daglan, to me, was not particularly notable and I can't comment on the attractions therein, if any. Anyway, for restaurants, I think you'll be ending up in Sarlat. However using it as a base and then getting to the heart of the many beautiful spots along the Dordogne is a good idea - being only 10km from Domme.

For day trips you could reach the Lot including Puy-l'Eveque, Cahors and St Cirq-Lapopie (one of my favorites). Rocamadour (a must) is, I guess, a pleasant 1-2 hours away.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Daglan is south of the Dordogne in a sleepy area not far from Monpazier. I wouldn't call it an ideal spot, but it's certainly not ugly or too far out of range of the usual sites. Just not terribly appealing. It does have a decent outdoor market, though I can't remember which day. And yes, there are at least a couple of caf'es/restaurants. There's a gooed restaurant in nearby St-Pompom, too.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

St. Cirq,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you give me a little bit more about the "not appealing" part. It appears to be within 20 minutes or so of Domme and Sarlat (we've previously spent a few days there so that will not be our main interest) and a looking for a spot where we can be right in a village. It seems that many of the rentals are out in the country, which I am sure is nice, but we really enjoy the village component. They do have a small market on Sunday I am told--but any other info about what is problematic or unappealing would definitely help. Many thanks.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:14 PM

topping for Robyn and calling upon StCirq's expertise!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi--still hoping for a little more detail on Daglan --especially if the village has any shops or other commerce--located 1 restaurant which sounds quite nice. Thanks.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM

Robyn,
I don't know if you're still looking into a rental in Daglan as your post was back in August, but I have been to this area many times and Daglan is a beautiful little village. Someone said this area is a bit sleepy, but that's part of the charm. It has absolutely none of the tourist trappings of Sarlat or bigger towns. The nearby village of St Pompon is very charming, friendly and quiet (and a great little restaurant - dinner only - as someone else mentioned). It's the kind of place to relax, walk around, get to know the locals - not much has changed in the lifestyle in hundreds of years.

From this area you can make day trips to wonderful attractions such as La Roque Gageac, Sarlat, etc

Enjoy!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Medeterraneo--thanks so much--we wound up staying in Sarlat based on a number of issues--but your info is so helpful--we may be able to consider Daglan on a future trip. Thanks again.

Take care,
Robyn France