Is AC worse than Los Angeles Fwys?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I would like to thank everyone who writes on this site as it is helping us tremendously plan our extended time in Europe. I am confused about driving the AC. Is it worse than driving during rush hour on the Los Angeles freeways? Or more twists and turns than Northern Highway One on the California coast? If we have always driven the downtown LA freeways, with all the aggressive drivers, (& with no accidents) do you think we can handle the AC? My husband is also retired law enforcement with much “defensive driver” training and has nerves of steel. Do you think we will do okay? We will have a lease car and the AC will be our second to last stop in Italy after two months, with us returning the lease car at the Rome airport just prior to seeing Rome. (Have learned from everyone here that we sure don’t need a car in Rome!) Oh, and we will be on the AC the third week of October. Is it any better then? Or is it just a real nightmare in the summertime only? Are there some stretches of the AC that are better or worse than others? Thanks again! You guys are the best.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I think it is easier to drive the AC than the Hwy 1. I wouldn't worry about traffic when you will be there and if it is at the end of your trip you will be well seasoned with driving in Italy by then. I live in LA and the freeways are sometimes or well a lot of the time congested I know. The Italian drivers drive very well on the whole and drive fast. In the South around Naples it is a lot crazier and they make their own rules so it that area you have to be aware and flexible.

If your husband is the driver and has nerves of steel you don't have anything to worry about, just enjoy a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Out of curiosity, what is "the AC"? I'm guessing Autostrada Something -- or maybe Amalfi Coast, hence the reference to California's Hwy 1.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM

It' nothing like a freway. It's a very narrow, twisting road, mostly with no shoulders at all, cut into the side of a cliff. The lanes are so narrow that in several places trucks coming in opposite directions can;t pass and one has to back up to a wider spot. (In some places a large truck or a tour bus is actually wider than the lane.)

In the inside lane you are at risk of losing your passenger side mirror to the rock wall. On the outer lane you're at risk of losing the driver side mirror to the rock wall between the road and the cliff to the sea below.

During the off season when the road is fairly empty you can do 30 to 35 - using both lanes. Be sure to honk your horn before any turn - since drivers coming the opposite way will also be using both lanes. If you hear a horn back slow down and move over to the wall.

During high season there is so much traffic you will average 10 to 15 mph - and may be stuck completely - or even have to back up if aforementioned trucks or buses get stuck.

Nothing could be less like a freeway.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:50 PM

I think she was comparing it to Hwy 1 in California, which is a narrow two lane road hanging on the side of a cliff. But that road doesn't have railing in many areas, at least the last time I drove it in the rain at night.....I'll take the AC drive anytime!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips about driving the AC. I think we will go for it, but cautiously. I like the horn honking idea. I'm glad to hear there are barriers on the outer side also. I had visions of just a dropoff kind of like Hwy 1 in places. Kind of scarey. we will be sure to turn in the mirrors in both on the way up and down. I think after two months we probably will be ready to tackle it. Thanks again.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Do goats and sheep suddenly cross in front of cars on Hwy 1?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Amalfi Coast road is very narrow and twisty with no railing. I have driven on Hwy 1 in California and it can not be compared. Hwy 1 is much wider and not as high.

During the day is not so bad but never drive the Amalfi Coast at night and drive slowly and check the mirrors before every turns!!!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

No, but boulders have been known to come tumbling down with little to no warning! I think I will take the goat and sheep anyday. We live in the country and all sorts of creatures dash out of nowhere so we do drive defensively in that regard, but it is something to keep in mind. Just where do these sheep and goats go anyways? To the edge of the cliff and back?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

mist, do you mean there are mirrors that let you see cars coming at you from the opposite direction but you cannot yet see? That is very helpful. No railing at all? We will definately not drive it at night then.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM

When you are going, you will be fine. Don't worry - be happy. Yes, it is narrow and twists and turns but it isn't really difficult. I have driven it in both directions a number of times (but not in the Summer) with a manual shift car and alway thouroughly enjoy it. Going by your description of your husband, he will probably enjoy it too. The views are fabulous. Stop in Amalfi and sit on a waterfront bench for awhile and soak up your good fortune of being there. There is also a very nice sandwich and pizza place there right at the foot of the church.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM

There is a wall or railings on the outside the whole way.

Yes, there are convex mirrors at the blind corners. They are particularly useful at night because you can easily see the headlights in the mirrors.