How Dangerous IS the Amalfi Coast?

Aug 8th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

How Dangerous IS the Amalfi Coast?

Again and again we are warned not to drive the Amalfi coast ourselves-it is narrow, has no guardrails, large buses take up more than their side, etc. I suppose that the local SITA bus drivers are very experienced with the route and follow strict rules regarding drug and alcohol use but does anyone know the actual statistics for accidents in this area? Thanks.
Aug 8th, 2003, 09:32 PM
gb

I think it depends on what you are use to driving. If you can go there off season or shoulder season when the traffic is not high, the drive was not so bad. We went in June, and found it not difficult or crowded. Probably a different story later in the summer.
Aug 8th, 2003, 09:40 PM

daph: It really isn't that bad. There is a stone gaurd railfor most of the way. The problem (as has been expressed) is the bumper to bumper traffic. Depends on when you go. Yes, it is narrow, winding, and high up on the side of a straight down cliff. But, it is also beautiful beyond belief. Just take your time and enjoy it.
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:39 AM
ira

If you can see the scenery while driving on a narrow, twisting road in bumper to bumper traffic.
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I agree it depends on your degree of experience on this kind of road, whether or not you drive. I'm sure both my husband and I could do the drive, as we have done similar drives in California and Hawaii for example, but as Ira notes the driver would miss out on the absolutely gorgeous scenery.

We took a SITA bus and were perfectly comfortable with the driver, and were both able to take in all the beauty. I can't give you any stats on accidents, but I think the odds are with you that you will enjoy a safe and memorable trip.
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:37 PM

My husband and I rented a motorbike late May this year and rode from Sorrento to Ravello and back within half a day. We were lucky the traffic wasn't too heavy and we weren't consumed by exhaust fumes. I've riden in a big coach and a regular car before along this same stretch but this was the best ride of all.
Aug 9th, 2003, 02:02 PM

Re: "I suppose that the local SITA bus drivers are very experienced with the route and follow strict rules regarding drug and alcohol use but does anyone know the actual statistics for accidents in this area?"

Don't know any statistics but I had to kind of laugh when I read that because when we took the SITA buses from Sorrento to Amalfi and back two years ago, I remember hoping that none of our drivers had been out on a bender the night before. There's never a 100% guarantee whenever humans are involved, but I'm sure they take their responsibility very seriously.

I actually found myself wishing we had driven (although this was in late March, when traffic was not too bad) because it would have allowed us to stop at the few existing turnouts to take in the fantastic scenery and take some photos.
Aug 9th, 2003, 11:52 PM

It was funny, this last spring I was zipping up and down that coast road every day for weeks and didnt think too much about it being dangerous.

There was one spot in the railing over a very steep drop that had yellow plastic repair tape over a hole, which did make me wonder what the story behind that was, and sometimes when you get out to look at the views you can look on down the coast road and actually see how steep the drops to the sea are.
When I took the SITA bus a few times, I wondered how fast I could unlock the ceiling escape hatch on the way down the cliff, but other than those times I wasn't scared at all.