Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is A/C needed in July in the Loire Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in the Loire Valley during next July. We are looking at the Chayeau de Marcay but it does not have A/C. Anybody with knowledge as to whether this is a problem? Thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM

We stayed in Amboise last July. we appreciated having the air conditioning. It helped with the humidity.

I honestly wish I could tell you that you either do or do not need it and the reason I cannot is because I don't know what you consider "comfortable."
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Nearly no local residences in the Loire have ac - that said summers are supposedly getting warmer here - at least more warm spells.

I spent about 10 summers in the Loire and there were a handful of days when it was really hot - but there could be those odd days when you would want it.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 02:18 AM

Both my trips to the Loire have been during very hot weather in May and June, respectively. Last trip, my rental car did not have a/c and I found it necessary to trade it in after two days for a car that did. However, neither of the properties at which I stayed had a/c and it was bearable, although I would have preferred to have had it. But I am used to sleeping in warm rooms. It just depends on your tolerance of heat.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Am not familiar with that chateau so don;t know. We were in the Loire in late June and some days were uncomfotably warm (you did need AC in the car).

The chateau in which we stayed didn't have it - but was 15th centruy with stone walls several feet thick - and so the inside stayed much cooler than outdoors. Don;t know if this would be true by July.

Also- don't know how much you mind the heat. Do they at least have fans? How old is the chateau (a true fortress with very thick stone walls?)
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM

The fact that nearly no local has AC in their homes should tell you something.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM

If you mean Chateau de Marcay and it's really a Chateau, probably it will be an old building with big walls, cool enough inside even on hot weather...