Passport necessary to check into hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an American student living in Italy for the semester, and a few of us are going to Naples/Pompeii for the weekend. We know that it's not the safest place on earth, and so we're leaving most of our valuables at the house rather than taking them with us. Our biggest concern, though, is our passports. Does anyone know if we need passports to check into our hotel, or if our ID's (student and State IDs) will be enough? We have money belts, and our passports would always be in them, so what is the legitimate risk?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:40 AM
ira

Hi A,

Bring your passports.

Have a copy of your passport in your luggage.

Enjoy Naples. It's not as terrible as some people say.

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Each European country has its own laws, so the title of your message should indicate which country you're talking about. In Italy, hotels must record the identities of guests for the police. I can't imagine any hotel will turn you away if you don't have a passport (Italians commonly use their driving licence as an id for hotels) but it is a good idea to take your passport with you. It's possible to conceive circumstances where you would need it.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Since you need some sort of "identity" document you'll need the passport (what else do you have that local authorities/folks might consider valid??).

The hotel may make a copy of the info page and hand it right back to you.

Proabably just as well because now that you are over there you'll need to get used to having this form of identity with you when you travel and how to safeguard it.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Ira, it is not a good idea to put a copy of your passport in your luggage.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Aomphan-I would NOT advise taking your passport for any reason. You have a student ID, and do they give you special govt.-issued student identity cards? If so, take that, take your US driver's license, and LEAVE THE PASSPORT AT THE HOUSE.

You will not need the passport at all in Naples, and you don't want to risk a "scippo"
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Remember, aomphan, Italians are required by law to carry their government-issued identity cards with them whereever they go in Italy-NOT their passport-as long as you have a GOVT. ISSUED ID- you're fine-I carry my US issued driver's license around with me for ID in Italy-and that is perfectly fine, BECAUSE it is a govt. issued ID. (and I verified this with a cop in Milan this past August)

I just read your post again...you DO have a state ID, along with your school ID-that's all you need.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Are any of the previous posters sure of the law in Italy or are they guessing?
I would check with the American Consulate to be sure.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Sure of what law? Sure that aomphan doesn't have to carry his US passport? Yes, I'm sure of that. Sure that aomphan has to carry his state issued ID in Italy? Yes, he/she does.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:47 AM

All I know is that a foreign tourist must turn in his/her passport at a hotel in Italy when he/she checks in. That's the law. Now, the question is: Does this apply a foreign student living and studying in Italy?
I'm not challenging you, girlspytravel.
I'm just poiinting out that the OP should be sure of what the law is.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:57 AM

What is the big deal? Secure your passport when 'on the road' - get it out and hand it to the desk clerk (if asked) when checking in the hotel. When you get it back, secure* it again.

Same thing for train travel.

(*denotes personal preference - moneybelt, room safe, whatever)
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM

As far as I know in Italy it's required by the hotel staff to note down all guests' passport numbers. I've been to a Rome hotel where the desk clerk wanted to hold onto it for a short while like half an hour. The hotel we stayed at in Florence the clerk just wrote down our passport numbers on the information card so we didn't need to leave it with him.

Agree totally with the advice from Travelnut about securing your passport (and other valuables).
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Italian hotels are obliged by law to give the passport or the national ID card number to the police.
Since USAmaricans don't have national ID cards the only valid ID they can supply is their passport.
A student ID is not issued by a government and has about the same value than a library card (ie none)
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Ira's comment telling you to "Enjoy Naples" reminds me of the old saying "See Naples and die." Of course, the meaning is that Naples is so wonderful that once you've seen it, life holds nothing better and you might as well just die. But still...
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I spent a week there in June & never felt unsafe. You just need to take the same precautions as you would in any big city.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would never travel around without my passport on my person.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM

No Norween, a university ID card is NOT the equivalent of a library card, in any way, since a university is a Govt. funded institution, which doles out money and other benefits to those with such a card, unlike a library card, so the comparison is in no way accurate.

However, everyone seems to be missing the fact that aomphan IS NOT A TOURIST. A non-national who resides in the country Iin taly for more than 30 days has to register with the local comune, and MUST be issued some form of "state" ID, which aomphan indicates he has. All Italians are required to carry their identity card at all times. No Italians use a passport to check into a hotel, they use their identity card, and ex-pats residing in the country are required ALSO to have some form of Italian- issued identity card as well.

Like I said, I wouldn't think of carrying my passport around with me-take it from someone who has had their wallet stolen, but not their passport, there was a minimum of pain to cancel the cards, and lose the money, but there surely would not have been had the passport been taken, and the "scippatore" are ever present in the tourist areas of Naples, which your hotel staff should be the first to warn you about-and to advise you to carry the minimum of documents/cards/cash around with you in Naples.

I should say also, that while walking around Naples in September, I did not feel it to be other than "impazzita" as opposed to dangerous or scary. The longer I was there, the more it grew on me-because you have to go with the Naples rhythm of things-and laugh about it, otherwise, you end up crying in frustration, which will get you nowhere.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM

I should clarify, Italians traveling around the EU can use their identity card, not their passport.

See BBC link on identity cards:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3527612.stm
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:03 PM
ira

Hi SU,

>Ira, it is not a good idea to put a copy of your passport in your luggage.<

Why not?

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Ira, shame on you, you haven't been reading my trip reports? I put a copy of my passport in my checked bag and someone enroute took it out and used my information to do all kinds of mischief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -