Reload this Page >

Is A/C a necessity for Paris hotel in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Dee

I just booked a room at the Hotel des Balcon in the 6th...my other choices were booked (Le Clement, Le Regent, Hotel de Fleurie).<BR><BR><BR>There's no A/C in this hotel, which I think is fine, unless it's really essential in Paris for July weather...What do you think??<BR><BR>Thanks

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Louis

The problem is not so much the heat as the street noise, which can be reduced by closing the windows and turning on the A/C... If there is no A/C, ask for a room "c&ocirc;t&eacute; jardin" (facing the back).

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Nikki

I stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons, and it is on a VERY small street. It was March, but the room was overheated, so we kept the window open (it's actually a french door to the balcony) and I don't think street noise was a problem even though it was a front facing room.

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:09 AM
xxxx

Yes, Yes and Yes, you will need air conditioning. We were in Paris in July last year and the A/C in the hotel broke and was not fixed until after our departure. It was horrible, especially since I booked a 4/5 star to make certain it had A/C. I also had my children with me and we had to sleep with the windows open and the street noise was dreadful. They allowed us to use the mini bar at no charge and gave us a 50% discount on the room, but it wasn't worth loosing a good nights sleep and seeing my children suffer.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Alyssa

We stayed in Paris in July without AC & there was a heatwave with temperatures over 95 degrees farenheit. We were sweating as soon as we stepped out of the shower. I'm usually not one to worry about AC, but after an entire day of walking around a hot city, it's hard to rest in a stuffy, hot room.

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Joyce

Yes. I once spent several days in Paris during a heat wave in May. It was unbearable. It is hard to imagine Paris being any hotter than it was that May, but July is probably even worse.<BR><BR>My hotel did not have a/c. My choice at night was to stay awake due to the heat, or stay awake due to both the heat and street noise. <BR>

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
lisa

Dee: I stayed at the Balcons last May and there were nights when I missed having A/C. Honestly, I do think it's essential for July. The Balcons is a good value hotel in a great area, but there are SO many 3-stars in that area with A/C that I would recommend you continue to try to find one. If the de Fleurie was in your price range you should have no problem. Keep your reservation at the Balcons as a backup in the meantime though.<BR><BR>

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:05 AM
lisa

Dee -- I just topped a thread for you with lots of hotel recommendations. Also seem to recall that others suggested the Saint-Paul which is in the same general vicinity. Good luck!

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Beth

We stayed in the Muguet, which has A/C, last June. Although it was not hot by any stretch, it still was nice to be able to control the climate in our room after a long day of touring. In the evenings, we would open the windows, but I still liked having the a/c, and I think it would be essential if Paris experiences a hot spell. Unlike in the US, many public buildings are not airconditioned or have less than adequate air-conditioning, so that having it in the hotel room, where you can escape from the heat, becomes even more important.

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Dee

Wow...thanks for all the replies!!<BR><BR>I will keep this reservation as a backup, but will continue looking for a room with A/C...<BR><BR>Merci!!

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Bob Brown

I think A/C is necessary even in early September. It can be both warm and humid in Paris at that time of year.<BR>My favorite hotel has A/C and I willingly pay for it.<BR>The comfort is as described above.<BR>With AC you are more comfortable termperature wise, and you can keep the windows closed and street noise out.<BR>That is important to me because I have AC home and I am used to that environment.<BR><BR>I even found that my hotel room in Vienna was much more comfortable with AC.<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:38 AM
NobodyImportant

Dee wrote: There's no A/C in this hotel, which I think is fine, unless it's really essential in Paris for July weather...What do you think??<BR><BR>If you want to sleep, AC is essential. Even if a website for a hotel doesn't say it has AC, call and ask because so many are adding it now. You might also ask if they have those in-room units, whi h are really noisy. Still, better to sleep in a chilled room with background noise than to toss and turn all night in a sauna.