Irish VAT

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Lynn

Irish VAT

Tell me how the VAT works when purchasing things in Ireland and bringing them back to the United States. Thanks. Lynn

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:54 PM
kam

Info as of two years ago. Purchases have to be over a certainly amount to get a VAT certificate from the store. There are two types of certificates and so two lines at Shannon airport. You'll need to allow plenty of time for waiting in each line or have two of you work on it. I recall that they just credited the VAT to our VISA. It was about 17% then so worth it if you're buying fairly expensive items or spending a lot for several things at one shop. You should pack them in your carryon in case the VAT people want to see them (but they never have asked me) There is an extensive Duty Free at Shannon, so if you are thinking whiskey and perfume etc, wait until there. That will be VAT free and delivered to you on the airplane. Have a great time--we're going in AUgust!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:19 AM
KieranB

See
http://www.globalrefund.ie/intro.htm

http://www.revenue.ie/publications/leaflets/vatexp.htm

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Christie

I'll second what Kam said about the vouchers. Be sure to allow yourself a lot of extra timeto check in at Shannon because you'll want to do the VAT, cashout your Euros, etc.

I was charged VAT on the 2 sweaters that I bought, and the refund wasabout $10, so it was worth getting it back.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:49 AM
kdr

When I was in Ireland in March, every store we made purchases at deducted the VAT at the time of purchase. Our only obligation was to turn in forms at the airport. There was no line at this particular booth--just a box for us to drop the forms in. Also, there was no required spending minimum--the VAT was deducted from purchases big and small.