Search

Ireland VAT tax

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland VAT tax

Planning a spur of the moment trip to Ireland. I am trying to read as much as I can in 4 short weeks. I read that when making purchases you will be charged a VAT tax, but to make sure you have your reciepts and when you go back to the airport you can go to a VAT window?? and you will be reimbursed for this tax. Is this true? And in looking at car rentals I see that they also charge the VAT so if this is in fact what you do would that tax also be credited or is it only for material (as in gift) purchases?

any imput would be appreciated.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM

In my two trips to Ireland, the Vat desk wasn't open at the airport when we left. Therefore, we mailed them in. Never, ever got any refund. Not sure, but I don't think there was a vat on our rental car, but could be totally wrong.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 04:33 PM

The only VAT you can have refunded is on goods that you take out of the country.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM

You can get VAT back on only things you buy and take out of the country.
the VAT on car rentals, hotels rooms and meals you consumer while in Ireland are not reimbursable. And you don;t get the money back on the spot. You have to fill out forms and confirm with receipts and the actual goods you have bought and a refund will be mailed to you some time later.

Also - not al merchants take part in this plan. Typically it works only for higher -priced individual items - not low cost random souvenirs or whatever. (I have bought some things that qualify - handmade sweaters and tweed things, etc - and have never found the VAT office at the airport open.)
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Which airport are you flying in and out of? The two trips we made to Ireland (Sept.09' & Oct. 10') the VAT Office at the Shannon Airport was open when we departed. BE SURE to ask the vendors you purchase items from to give you the refund in EUROS, you will get back more money than if they give it to you in dollars. Each business should ask you if you want the tax back in dollars or euros but just in case they don't be aware of this, we didn't know the difference our first trip. You do have to fill out some forms but it is well worth it. You should allow a little extra time at the airport before your departure to go to the VAT Office, there may be a line depending on when you leave and how many are on your flight. Have all of your forms filled out BEFORE hand and it should not take you that long. Have a great trip, I am envious.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Also make sure whatever you buy can be produced to the VAT office to prove you are actually taking it out of the country, i.e. don't pack it in your checked bags.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 07:54 AM

This was a long time ago, but we deposited the information at the customs window at the Dublin airport, which was not manned; just dropped an envelope in the box. We did not hear for a long time, and then got a bill for the amount of the VAT. We corresponded with the Irish consulate and eventually were reimbursed with apologies. It appears that some sort of scam was going on, although it was never clarified to us. This took place over a period of 18 months.