Search

Irish Itineray

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Michelle

Irish Itineray

Does anyone have any suggestions for an self-drive 8 day, six night trip to Ireland? We will be landing in Shannon, will have a rental car and vouchers for country B&B's? <BR>Neither of us have ever been to Ireland.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Bob

Try www.irelandexpert.com. Pat is very helpful.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 02:22 PM
nonie

Hi Michelle, we did our own fly/drive trip in August and we flew into Shannon and then flew out of Dublin. We went north the first few nights up to Connemara and then came back down and stayed in Dromoland Castle..the BEST service ever. We stayed in Ennis one night and did the day trip to CLiffs of Moher, etc. We then drove down to Dingle (not worth it) very touristy town and crowded and then on to Kinsale...stopping at Kilarney. Both Kinsale and KIlarney are SOOOO AMAZING..not to miss. We stayed in Waterford one night and then ended up in Dublin for two nights. Don't miss Bunratty, Rock of Cashel, Lakes of Kilarney, Waterford Crystal. Dublin has a great tour bus that allows you to get on and off all day long. It was rushed but well worth it cuz we saw a lot in 10 days. I personally would skip Dingle and instead do Kinsale...way classier and not so dirty and touristy. I have traveled to many places around the world and the Irish are the nicest, warmest people and the food is wonderful!! <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 06:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Michelle, see my post named "navigating <BR>in Ireland" done about Oct. 12 or so. <BR>Our highlights were Dingle[slea head], <BR>Cliffs of Moher, Kinsale, Cobh, and <BR>Cashel. We liked Ireland but had some real ify weather. The people are great and the food is better than expected.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 02:42 AM
lola

Just got back from Northern Ireland and it is even more beautiful than the south. Do not miss the Giant's Causeway along the coast. It is peaceful there now that the accord has been signed and I predict the country will become a must-see in 5 years. Be ahead of the curve.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 04:58 AM
mimi

Michelle <BR>You'll love Ireland! Pat Preston's www.irelandexpert.com is very helpful. <BR>It does matter WHEN you are going as the weather and amount of daylight will impact on your activities. We went in late June and it was light out until 11:00pm! The driving is slow because of the roads. Allow enough time and sit back and enjoy the scenery. Nonie gives thumbs down on Dingle but hers is the only negative I've ever seen about that area. We went there in June and it was absolutely beautiful.Make your own priority list of must sees after you've read some firsthand stories on forums such as this.....also look at some travel guide books.....then ask Pat preston for her expert opinion of how doable your plan is. She answers in 24 hours and will help you fine tune it. Her book seems very popular though I haven't seen it myself.I wish I was going again!!! Have a great trip and enjoy the planning...that's fun, too! <BR>mimi

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 08:34 AM
NONIE

Hi Michelle, <BR> <BR>Just to clarify the drive to Dingle is EXTREMELY tedious and yet it is gorgeous. The town itself...have you ever been to Santa Cruz, California or better yet - Avalon on Catalina Island in California? Small, over-crowded and very touristy. NOT picturesque in the least bit compared to Kinsale. Kinsale is much more elegant, charming and classy. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 12:28 PM
Terry

Michelle, My wife and I spent 17 days on a driving tour of Ireland las year. Had a great time. Highlights follow: <BR> <BR>Dublin very nice but really just a city (This is not to say don't go there just not worth more than a day or two) The bus tour off/on is a great value and an easy way to see the sights without killing yourself. Grafton Street shopping - Trinity College/book of Kells - Christ ChurchGuiness Brewery (They no longer do tours but nice to say you have been there and a nice place to get a pint) - Jameso;n Irish Whiskey tour (A highlight of our Dublin stay, Great tour)- Oneills Pub near Grafton St. Great place for good food I had Crab Claws baked in butter (And they say the English can't cook) <BR> <BR>Powerscourt Gardens Beautiful just outside Dublin -btw best not to have a car in Dublin.Headed for Kilkenny sway Glendalough, monastic ruins (nice) on the way. Kilkenny a very nice town, Kilkenny Castle nice but have seen better. <BR>Waterfsord a must + waterford crystal factory great tour. <BR> <BR>Rock of Cashel a must see also Cahir Castle and the Swiss Chalet. <BR> <BR>Charles Fort, walked around by ourselves, nice sunnyday and nice setting for old Fort. See if you have time. On to Blarney Castle and of course the Stone - some folks think its too toursity but ya gotta... Good buys in Blarney Mills. <BR> <BR>Cork a nice city easy to walk around worth at least half day. <BR> <BR>Cobh (Cove) interesting town, Port where the Irish departed Ireland for America - Last port of call for Titanic. <BR> <BR>Kinsale, Ennis, very nice well worth the time typical Irish towns. Adar written up as the place but we found it to be crowded, touristy and tacky skip altogether. <BR> <BR>Do not miss the Cliffs of Moher and Connemara the best of all beautiful places. Do drive the Burren see Aillwee Cave and the Dolman. We stayed in Clifton the Ardmore Farmhouse B&B perched on the cliffs (short walk to stand at the tip) Great hosts higly recommend, unique experence. <BR> <BR>Kylemore abbey a must see place beautiful setting. <BR> <BR>Galway probably the nicest large town we visited, walking streets no traffic, nice pubs and food (Seafood)Stayed at Roughgrange Farmhouse B&B. <BR> <BR>Note: All pubs are thick with smoke - Music doesnt start until at least 9PM often much later. <BR>One more thing: Do Not miss the Bunratty Castle, yes it is full of tourists but what a great castle and tour - gives you a good idea what castle life was like, we thoroughly enjoyed the day there. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. My wife and I are heading for Italy Thursday. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 12:59 PM
phyllis

michelle- <BR>We spent 9 days in Ireland this summer arriving in Shannon and departing from Dublin. we first travelled north to Connemara, which was spectacular. The Cliffs of Moher are great, but try to see the Burren as well, even if you just drive through on your way to Galway. We stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast in Lahinch, which we found through Town and Country. From Connemara we travelled south to Kenmare and toured the Beara peninsula. We heard it was as beautiful as Dingle with fewer tourists. Since we didn't go to Dingle, we can't compare, but the scenery of Beara was breathtaking, Glengariff was charming and we ate in wonderful restaurants in Kenmare. From Kenmare we took two days to get to Dublin, stopping in Youghal and Glendalough which is part of the Wicklow Way. If you enjoy hiking and the outdoors don't miss the Wicklow Way. We travelled up north as far as Sligo and stayed in a fabulous bed and breakfast in Carrick on Shannon (actually the village of Keshcarrigan, right outside Carrick). I don't remember the name off hand, but it also has a well known restaurant on the premises and is right on the river. We only spent one day in Dublin because our preference was the countryside. Since we love irish literature and the countryside we built our trips around those interests, but there are so many things to enjoy, you won't go wrong. One word of advice, pack to dress in layers, you will experience many types of weather from sunny and brisk to drenching and cold. <BR> the irish tourist board maintains an excellent web site, with many links, pat prston's site is also very informative, and town and country, which is the service we used to book our bed and breakfasts allows you to reserve on line. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Cat

I would decide what you want to do most and decide from there. If you want scenery,then Galway, Dingle, Kerry are the way to go. If you want castles, Bunratty, Blarney, Limerick and Killarney have great ones. I would suggest getting Fodor's book and reading some about each area. Then you can decide which way to head. I did Shannon to Cork, Cork to Killarney and back to Shannon. If I had it all to do over again, I would probably skip Cork because the driving there was a nightmare (the city). BUT- there was a jazz festival going on and I think that added to it. As far as walking, it was great with no problems. We took day trips to Kinsale from Cork and Dingle from Killarney. The scenery is faboulous in either of those directions!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Cathy

Michelle, <BR>Qucik question before I offer any assistance. When are you planning to travel ? Also what are you interested in ? and finally check out the official web site of the Irish tourist board - www.ireland.travel.ie to help you get started on your plans <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Katherine Murphy Mistilis

Iola, <BR> <BR>What was your itinerary and what accomodations did you stay in? I am interested as I am going to Northern Ireland the last of March. Thank you! <BR> <BR>Katherine