Irish Experience

Search

Irish Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish Experience

Long time reader but first time poster. Just a post to comment on a recent Irish experience that made an impression on me and I have been recounting over and over to friends since my return this weekend.

First trip to Ireland, which was business not pleasure, only 2 days. Morning of departure from Dublin hotel found that car that had been arranged was not coming. To call a cab was going to take 40 minutes. I had been warned that because of security checks at the airport to check in 3 hours before Trans Atlantic flight. So long story short it looked like I was not going to make it.

So sitting dejectedly in the foyer of the hotel, a man approaches and says that he is a friend of desk clerk and has heard that I am having trouble getting to the airport, would I like a ride? Lone woman in strange city, reaction was to say no. But time restraints dictated otherwise. So I took the ride. He 'chatted' courteously and humoursly through out the entire ride. When I asked him was he heading in the direction of the airport, which seems to be some way out of the city, he replied that it wasn't TOO MUCH out of his way. Then dropped me at the airport and wished me a pleasant flight!!! Would not take money to cover gas.

So to recap, I was stuck with not being able to make my flight, a man I didn't know who would gain nothing (payment) for helping me, gave me a ride, a stranger, to catch a flight that was must probably way out of his way, and then bid me a good day and pleasant flight never to see me again!?!?!?

On return home, my friends immediate reactions, varied from mild surprise to absolute disbelief that I would have been stupid enough to take a ride from a complete stranger in the first place. So made me think, would this happen at home (US)? Would we be too cynical to take a lift from a stranger, thinking that they would have ulterior motives, whether sinister or mercenary??

Just wanted to relay my experience, one that was a pleasant surprise and eye opener to a country I need to return to, to see if this gesture of kindness from a stranger was the norm and not the exception.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:31 AM
P_M

I'm not at all surprised, I found the Irish to be among the kindest people I've ever met.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM

You must have looked very forlorn! But that's the kind of thing I have come to expect in Ireland. I am a 70-something man who uses a walking stick. Once, I was waiting in front of the school my father (and uncles) attended. It had started raining but I had a taxi coming. A 30-something lady who was there to pick up her children came over and asked if I would like a ride back into town. That was in about year 2000 and my local mode of travel ever since has been hitch-hiking. When I visited a cousin my age in Tournefulla (west Limerick), she was incredulous; but I got a lift into Newcastlewest right across from her cottage.

2002: in a small vilage in Mayo I was trying to hitch a ride to Shagraddy to see some of my Mother's family. The lady who owned a convenience store and Gas station came out and asked where I was going. I told her my story; she left the store to her daughter and took me to the house I was looking for that I would never have found by myself. I got to visit a 105-year old first cousin of my Mother's.

The Irish are curious: So many of them have emigrated to the 'States' that they all have some 'kin' here. Maybe that's why they treat us so well.
BTW
In some places in the U.S. it might be safe to accept a ride with a stranger but those places are becoming few and far between.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM

I did a fair amount of hitchhiking in Ireland back in 1992 when I was backpacking. I never had a problem. I did it in Scotland a bit as well. Some of my best adventures there began with hitching.

However, when I returned to Ireland in 1998, this time driving, I was disappointed not to see anyone with a thumb out. I was told that there is a growing drug problem in Ireland that has made hitching dangerous. Anyway, yes, the people over there can be extremely friendly!

And no, it's not very likely that I'd accept a lift from a stranger in the US, although I have in the past!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:25 AM

It is NOT something that is common over here and NO ONE hitchhikes anymore. I think depending on the situation and person you were fine but I probably would not do it unless there was a group or a bunch catching flights to the airport. There are some lovely people here but it is a dangerous thing still for a woman to do. I guess your gut instinct was right and most times it is. What most people do not know is that several women have gone missing over the past 20 years and they feel it could be a serial killer. One was Annie MCCarrick (American Girl) another was hitchhiking home called jo jo Dollard. Neither of these women has been found. That's why I am cautious. I cold not say I would'nt do what you did but all the people who say how safe it is here and nice people are should still be careful as you would ANYWHERE in the world. OK a mother with kids givig you a lift is obiviously ok!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:57 AM

You're quite right, Siobhan! Hitching in Ireland isn't what it was back when 'Around Ireland with a Fridge' was popular.

The hitch-hiker must be concerned about the people he/she gets in the car with but the driver is also taking a chance picking up a stranger. In the case of Ms. Riordan (Convenience store owner) I'm sure that everyone in Bangor Erris (Co. Mayo) knew who this 'Yank' was: Another 'local,' Jimmie Barrett found me in the WestEnd Pub and took me to see my Mother's family cottage. It's the same in west Limerick. Word gets around about the 'Yank' in town ...

As mentioned in my earlier post, Hitch-hiking is my primary LOCAL travel mode.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM

Pam - I'm usually a solo traveler, too - for my business trips anyway. I have to say - I would have done exactly the same thing you did. Cross my fingers and hope for the best. (I bet he offered you a lift, though - not a ride!)

I agree with the others, the Irish are some of the kindest prople I've met. I took a train from Cork to Dublin once, man sat down at my table, I wasn't sure if I should just keep reading or chat. We ended up talking the entire trip. When we got there, he walked me to the taxi stand and waited there with me, I thought he was waiting for one as well. When it was my turn, he shook my hand said good bye and left to go get his car. He just wanted to make sure I was all set. Glad you had such a good experience!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

After reading your posts and reading through past posts it seems that it may not have been so bad if I did get stuck in Ireland for a few days more.

Just for the record I have never 'hitched' in my life. City girls are brought up to say no, right!! The idea of sticking my thumb out and getting into a strangers car has always appeared to me to be putting yourself into absolute danger. Must have been the gut instinct was right.

Anyway if I hadn't I wouldn't have had the impression of Ireland I have now. Corny Irish plaque I remember hanging on wall of friends home when growing up said something like "In Ireland there are no strangers just friends you haven't met yet". Corny but a little more true now!!