Irish 90 day stay vs. Schengen 90 day

Old Aug 10th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish 90 day stay vs. Schengen 90 day

In September I am leaving from the U.S. for Portugal. My boyfriend and I are traveling within Portugal, Spain and France for about 3 weeks before going to Ireland. Dublin will then be our home base up until Christmas, when his semester at Trinity College ends. I just graduated from the University of Virginia and am coming along for the trip of a lifetime before going back to school!

I will be living in Dublin for approximately 90 days, probably a bit more, but will be traveling out of Ireland frequently. I am wondering how the 90 day counter works for Ireland and having trouble finding concrete information. If I leave Ireland for the Schengen area does the 90 day counter for my stay in Ireland stop until I return? I am hoping that it works similarly to the "90 days out of 180 consecutive days" counter in Schengen countries but I have no idea if that is true. If it is, I'll be sure to get my passport stamped whenever I leave Ireland.

Any info is much appreciated!!
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Visa requirements for Ireland: http://tinyurl.com/pb6e5so

You will not need a visa, other then the entry stamp, if you are an American or Canadian when entering Ireland. But you are planning on staying beyond 90 days, you will have to apply for a visa.
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. My question is a bit more nuanced than that, however: I am wondering if the 90 day counter for my stay continues when I leave the country for a few days.

For example, I am planning on a trip to Italy for one week after which I will return to Dublin. Will the 7 days I am in Italy count towards my 90 day total in Dublin?
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:45 AM

It shouldn't, if you get your exit stamp at the airport in Dublin.
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 10:53 AM

Since you sound like you are 'student age' (ie. under 25) have you considered applying for a student work abroad program (SWAP). My husband studied at trinity for 8 months a number of years ago and the only way to stay with him (since we weren't married) was to get my own visa. Luckily the SWAP program had very few requirements (at least in 2008 it did): under 25, $2500 in the bank and someone to vouch for you and I got a 1 year visa. I worked part time just to fund our excursions and meet some people. That would take care of the 90 worry.
Have fun!
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Ireland's 90-day entry permit/leave is single-entry, and expires each time you leave Ireland (same with UK). So you will be examined each time you return to Ireland whether to be granted further 90-day stay. So I suggest you carry your return flight booking for US and other evidence of funds, such as bank statement, to show you will be returning home and aren't working illegally.