Student Visa for Italy Questions

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Student Visa for Italy Questions

My daughter will be studying in Rome (Feb - May). She's lucky, I know!! We just got all the info about getting the Student Visa. She can either get it on her own or go through the program where they do a bunch all together and they charge $100. I don't mind the $100, but if you do it that way they say you can't leave the US from Nov. 16 to 2 days before you leave for the trip, which is Feb. 4. I assume, because they can't guarantee that you will get the visa and passport back before then, although they do guarantee you will have it before you leave. We were considering going to Mexico over Christmas, though haven't made any definitive plans, but this would obviously preclude that from happening.

However, it also looks like the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles (where she would need to go) does not have any express processing and she can't apply before 90 days before her arrival date, which means she couldn't apply before Nov. 4 and can take several weeks to get, so not sure she would have for a Christmas time trip anyway. So, I'm leaning towards doing the program route (and discarding the idea of a Mexico trip) - do others agree that is the best way? I just really like that they guarantee you will get it back before your departure date.

Secondly, if she wanted to travel a bit after the program, does that effect the student visa? Does she need to say when she would actually leave the EU or just when she is done with her program?

Sorry this is long, so I appreciate anyone who got through it!! We've traveled a ton but only had to do Visas on Arrival in the past so this is all new to us. Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Check and ask if the student visa can be extended over the summer (vacation time for students), or if it can be for a six month period rather than the four months of study.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM

http://www.nafsa.org/regulatoryinfor....aspx?id=20315
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM

My daughter had a student visa for study in Italy. She applied to a local consulate office (not an actual Italian consulate but approved for application)and all the paperwork then went to the Italian consulate in Philadelphia. She applied the first week in November and received her passport back, with visa, the 23rd of December. So, it can take a fair amount of time. And, as the visa requires paperwork from both the home university and the Italian school, I don't believe you could use a different date for the beginning of the Visa time period, in order to apply sooner.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM

It should be possible for your daughter to travel after her studies. The thing to do is to leave Schengen (like a flight to UK) and then re-enter, getting her permission to stay 90 days (in 180 days). What she mustn't do is to just stay on in Italy (or Schengen). Then it looks as though she has overstayed. Her visa doesn't automatically roll into a tourist stay, but she has to first leave Schengen and re-enter, getting a stamp. Schengen exit stamp has an arrow pointing outwards, and entry stamp with an arrow pointing inwards, like in http://www.flickr.com/groups/passports/pool/?view=lg
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Actually, unless the terms of the Italian student visa have changed in the last nine months, your daughter is specifically allowed her time in Italy PLUS 90 days in other Schengen countries; hence, she will have no problem traveling after her studies, as long as she spends no more than an additional 90 days in the Schengen countries. Also, your daughter's university study abroad office should be able to give her more information about this. I'm sure she will have a wonderful experience!