Visa issues

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visa issues


My friend is in Spain for 3 months. Her visa will expire at the end of third month (May). She wants to travel around France and Italy starting June 1 for 3 weeks. I know that you don't need a visa to enter France or Italy if you're going to be there for less than 3 months. BUT would she have a hard time going to those two countries with an expired visa?
What will she need to do to be able to travel after her visa expired?
Thank you for the information.
emsaigon is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really understand your friend's problem. If she is not a citizen of a Schengen state, her stay would be limited to 90 days in any 180 day, as I understand it. She might not have any trouble traveling within the countries, but might be given a hard time in leaving after having overstayed her limit. If she wishes to take a chance on being barred from returning, best of luck.
nukesafe is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,268
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't get a visa extended while in the Schengen area. Your friend needs to leave Schengen and re-apply outside - usually wherever your friend normally lives, or is a citizen of.

If your friend needs a visa (most visitors to Schengen countries don't, but all non-EU citizens are limited to 90 days' stay) this won't be a straightforward procedure: it will take much time and paperwork, won't be effective until at least 90 days after the current visa expires and your friend needs to consult the Spanish embassy in his/her own country.

If your friend is a citizen of a country that doesn't need a visa, but is limited to 90 day stays (like Americans or Japanese), he or she needs to leave the Schengen area for 90 days, then return.

That's the law. Your friend MIGHT get away with travelling illegally after the end of May, or he/she might not. But from that point, there's no legal way of staying in Spain, Italy or France
flanneruk is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,056
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What nationality is she? Why did she need a visa for Spain? If she had a working visa of some sort, and wants to now travel around as a tourist, I have no idea whether she can or not - she really needs to contact the countries involved to find out the true situation.
nona1 is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto Nona
ira is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed - without more info we can;t even begin to guess what her legal situation is. BUT, it does sound like what she's trying to do it outside the bounds of her visa, meaning she will be illegal - and if ound summarily deported. Also, if this is found when she returns home she may be banned fro entering Schengen for years.

She really needs to seek advise from the embassy or consulate of her home country in Spain now - before the visa expeires and she becomes illegal.
nytraveler is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Flanneruk, your response is very helpful.
emsaigon is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Sep 9th, 2017 04:29 AM
Apr 4th, 2015 07:54 PM
Oct 3rd, 2013 08:31 PM
Aug 19th, 2013 01:20 PM
Apr 25th, 2012 07:19 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -