Ireland with daughter and mother

Oct 13th, 2002, 03:28 PM
smoot60

Ireland with daughter and mother

I am considering traveling to Ireland in late March with my 60-something mother and my 12 year old daughter. This is the first time we will travel abroad without menfolk. It this a good thing to do? I have looked into doing a 6 night self drive tour and staying at B&Bs. I would like to visit Counties Cork, Kerry and Galway, probably in that order. Will fly into Shannon. Any advise would be appreciated especially about any suggested B&B's.

Thanks, Kathy in Tennessee

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Siobhan

Ireland is safe for women to travel aroun so do not worry. Your trip order sounds good to me and to get some more info on B&B's etc try www.ireland.ie It lets you know events and you can book accommodation through this site.

Enjoy

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:20 AM
bill

Hi Kathy in Tennessee:

Again, you will have no problem traveling in Ireland as a group of women. Much safer than you be doing the same in the US I would guess.

It sounds to me as if you are booking a tour through one of the consolidators (Spectre or CIE and the like). You might want to double check to see if you can get better prices independently. There are some pretty good airline deals through the end of March to Ireland and you sometimes find, when booking three people that the prices for the car tend to climb because you are paying extra money for each person, but only using one car. I know Aer Lingus has some good flight prices through the end of March and Continental seems to be having a sale also (at least as of last week).

Some of the consolidators use the Town and Country book for B&Bs. This is most complete book in Ireland for B&Bs. They also have a website.
http://www.townandcountry.ie/

Most will have an upcharge to be able to use the T&C B&Bs and it is certainly a good thing. Once again though, you may want to spend a few minutes comparing prices. A lot of the consolidator prices start adding prices on for upgrades and it can get pricey.

I don't know if this is your first opportunity to drive on the left, but it is popular for first time travlers to the left side of the road to get an automatic. This is not a bad plan maybe even an excellent plan, but once again, the price will jump substantially.

Have a great time!

Bill

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:33 AM
cd

Smoot
The above is great advice and I would also encourage you to rent an automatic car making sure you are covered insurance wise 100% - no deductable. Type "Ireland" in the above "search" box at the top of this page and you will receive more information on Irland then you wanted to know.

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM
D. Dillon

Dear Smoot,

An "all-girls" trip to Ireland sounds splendid. You'll have no trouble with the Irish men-folk, but you'll want to consider a few aspects of traveling in March rather than high tourist season.

Perhaps most importantly, not all B & Bs are open in March. Be sure to pick up a few of the better B & B guides to Ireland, such as Karen Brown, Fodor's, or better yet, the British Alistair Sawday's, to get a good handle on what's available.

As regards touring, your choice of Counties Cork, Kerry, and Galway sounds flawed. Given you only have six nights, I would limit myself to Galway and Clare, and perhaps one section of Kerry. Too often tourists try to cover too much terrain in a short period of time, thus causing them to require a vacation from their vacation.

Slow down, more is often less. The trip from Shannon to Cork is a fairly long one; you'd be well advised to spend more time in fewer places. Check out Galway City for a day, then hope for good weather in the lovely but often rain-soaked Connemara region of west Galway. After that, consider a couple days in West Clare. Corofin and Ballyvaughn are good choices. The Burren is a remarkable place, well worth your time. Lastly, try to leave at least a couple days for the Dingle area, located in Kerry. Dingle town makes a fine base for exploring one of Ireland's most striking coastal regions, Slea Head.

Please note that Galway, Clare, and West Kerry all feature much first-rate lodging and places to dine. I'd be happy to provide you with some specifics.

Best of luck.