Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

DH turns 50 in Feb 3/4 days in Ireland where to go after Clifden???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH turns 50 in late February. Originally I was planning a trip to Arizona, but then I saw the fares to Ireland - they can't be beat. Cheaper than Chicago to FLA!! Yeah, it'll be cold/rainy/dark - but hey, we're from Chicago - we're used to that in the winter.

Here's my quandry, we have limited time as we will be leaving our little kiddies behind. Only about 3/4 days. My cousin is living in Tully Cross (near Clifden) after January and of course we'll go say hi. But then what? A friend says Dingle/Kerry is not to be missed but it's seems too far from Galway to be practical(flying into Shannon then getting a car through autoeurope).

I think our ideal days would consist of a hearty breakfast, touring around a bit then settling into a pub and having black & tans the rest of the night while we listen to some great music. Oh, and maybe get in a bit of walking/shopping(not much shopping - ick) and a visit to a fishing village might be nice.

Any ideas?? please???
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
CU

www.irishtourism.com might help and especially www.galway.net and you will enjoy the natural beauty of Ireland.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out - any other personal ideas/experiences?
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 05:25 AM

I wouldnt try to travel too far with that amount of time. I would tend to stick to the area you are looking at or reasonably close. Westport is a great town with some very good pubs and some shopping. Its also not too far from Galway. Another option would be Somwhere in the Burren. Doolin was where we stayed and while the music was very good it seemed canned to me after some of the other places we went. Having said that...the proximity to the Cliffs of Moher and the burren is very appealing. If you had more time or want a longer (but great) day of driving I would say Donegal is hands down my favorite County in Ireland. Have fun!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM

jujubean,

I assume this is your first trip to Ireland. I am not an expert at all, but with 2 trips under my belt, I have learned some lessons.

First, the Connemara area is outstanding, and Clifden is a great base. You have 3 or 4 days--make it 4 if at all possible. Assuming 4 day, it will basically take your first day to get to Clifden (actually only about 2-3 hours from Shannon, but depending on when your flight arrives, the first day is really just for getting to your B&B and finding the nearest pub, and staying awake as long as possible to get on Ireland time).

That leaves 3 days, and you'll probably want to stay your last night closer to Shannon, perhaps Doolin to allow you to see a little of the Burren and possibly the Cliffs of Moher (IF the weather is good).

Overall, I suggest staying as long as possible in Clifden, and doing day trips (Kylemore Abby, Connemara National Park, fishing village--it's small, but Cleggan is really cool), you could possbily do Westport or Aran Isles for one day, but that's kind of ambitious. For your time frame, going somewhere besides Connemara (and perhaps West County Clare on your last day) is too much. Dingle is great, but too much.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:25 PM

I totally agree with Beach Dweller. Use Clifden as a base for all but the last full day; then travel back through the Burren and that area. Maybe stay in Ennis. We always travel from Chicago too, and though you get there in the morning, the drive to Clifden (be sure you have very good directions from the web for the roundabouts at Galway) is long enough. You should get to Clifden by early/mid afternoon and spend the rest of the time relaxing that day.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM

Clifden is good for a day and night, but Westport is much more fun - and just a pretty drive from Clifden - I'd spend first night in Clifden then head to Westport for two nights at the pubs, then back down to Ennis for a night before flying back. Pubs in Westport are terrific!!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Clifden is a good base. Id highly suggest Joyces Waterloo House..it is beautiful and PK and Joyce make you feel like family. You wont want to leave...and tell them marilynn sent you. We keep going back
Another great place is in Ennis...Kilmoon House on Kiladysert Road....great for doing day trips. Great music in Brogans and good food.