COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Ireland to Scotland ferry

Old Apr 24th, 2019, 09:48 AM
DrG
Original Poster

Ireland to Scotland ferry

I'd like to do this but a travel agent warned against it. Rough seas often cause cancellations. Anyone here try this ferry?
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 09:59 AM

What time of year? Yes, sometimes there are cancellations but not often. How often has your travel agent traveled on the ferry from Ireland to Scotland? I have taken many ferries across the Irish Sea, in the Hebrides and across the Pentland Strait which is far more likely to experience storms. Only once was there a cancellation crossing the Pentland Strait. The next day, in spite of high seas, the ferry made the crossing.

I would ask ask why you want to do a ferry crossing. The trip from Ireland to Scotland gets a bit boring after the first 10/15 minutes unless the seas are rough and then it’s far more interesting.��
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:00 AM

You got a few answers on your other thread:

Ireland to Scotland

Yes, there can be rough seas, but you posted that you didn't want to fly so a ferry is your only other option.

(question - why are you working through a travel agent. Booking is easy whether you go by coach/ferry, ferry as a foot passenger, or a flight if you decide to go that way)
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Add a day and go up to Belfast - very interesting city - and take the ferries from there that involve much less sailing times. Some just cross a small straight.

Or cross to Wales and take train to Scotland.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 02:27 PM

>>Add a day and go up to Belfast -<<

The OP IS asking about Belfast . . . s/he calls it 'Ireland' but is definitely asking about Belfast NI

(would have to be in any case because there is no ferry from the Republic to Scotland)