Search

Ireland - Southwest / West & Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland - Southwest / West & Dublin

Hi All!

Looking for a bit of help deciding where to go on an upcoming trip to Ireland. I have been there a few times, but this time I am going with my parents/siblings,/husband and want to plan something epic (I ma the only one who has visited). I am also looking to do placed there I haven't done. We are going in November and will be hiring a driver for transportation and excursions. We have 9 nights. We are planning on 2 first nights in Dublin which will give us a full day and a half there to explore.
After that I am planning on heading southwest. This can be a full excursion day letting our driver know points we'd like to stop (any suggestions?) ROK or Dingle Peninsula is where I'm thinking we head either staying in Kenmare or somewhere near Dingle. Ideally 3 nights in a suggested place (2 full days). I think it might be too ambitious to try to see both places? From there we plan to head to Galway stopping to see the Cliffs of Moher (any ohter suggestions on this drive?), with 3 nights in Galway. The last day we will head back to Dublin early for a last bit of fun before leaving the next day.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 03:53 PM

We did a similar route on a trip a couple of years ago... first couple of nights in Dublin, two nights in Kenmare, three nights in Galway and then the final night in Dublin. So one less night than you are planning. We rented a car and did our own driving. We saw the Cliffs of Moher, spent the day on Inishmor, did parts of the Ring of Kerry and the Beara Peninsula and spent time at Kilarney National Park. For us the timing was about right, although more time in Ireland is always better!
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a good trip! Any recommendations for places to stop on the way to Kenmare?
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 02:31 PM

We stopped at the Rock of Cashel and then Cork for a late lunch.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Great thank you!
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 04:00 PM

I took a bus from Galway and ferried out to Inishbofin and loved it, but that was July not November. If you can get out, a tour around Connemara is well worth it. I stayed at the Vaughn Lodge in Lahinch, not far from the Cliffs of Moher, superb restaurant and a fun little surf town. While you are in Galway make a point to eat at Kai Restaurant. I liked to get a late lunch seat and linger.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Great! My brothers are surfers so that town might be nice. I am now planning on touring Connemara
Thanks for the info
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 07:33 AM

If you haven't booked your driver yet, I used Silverbus (silverbus) to get from Shannon to Killarney and then from Killarney to Lahinch. The owner Karoline was terrific both times. In Killarney I stayed at the Old Weir and the family owners were great, helping coordinate the rides for me to do the Gap of Dunloe, highlight of my trip. I walked, but there are also horse drawn jaunting cars (not sure they run year-round). Enjoy!!