3 Weeks in Ireland - Itinerary help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Ireland in May and will have 22 full days to sight-see (travel days are in addition to this). Flying into and out of Dublin and renting a car. I’ve worked out the following draft itinerary but would love to get some advice from those who have been there/live there on what locations you would recommend combining or cutting to slow down the pace a bit?

Things that we like - nature/scenery, cute small towns, and history (not huge fans of museums). Things we don’t like as much - big cities, very touristy things.

Anything you would recommend cutting to help slow down the pace? I realize this is a "fit it all in schedule" and am looking for advice on if you had to choose what would you cut?

Town listed at beginning is where we would overnight. Some of these days are spent driving and seeing these sites along the way for example Day 2 we would drive from Dublin through Wicklow Mountains and Gelandalough, then end in Kilkenny for the night.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin 6:00 am - Overnight in Dublin
Day 2, 3, 4: Kilkenny - Wicklow Mountains, Glendalough, Cashel and surrounding
Day 5 & 6: Kinsale - Waterford Crystal Factory, Dunmore East, Dungarvan, Ardmore, Cork
Day 7, 8, 9: Killarney or Kenmare - Beara Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula/Lakes of Killarney
Day 10: Doolin - Adare, Bunratty, Loop Head, Cliffs of Moher
Day 11 & 12: Galway City/Aran Islands - Burren, Corcomroe Abbey, Aran Islands, Galway City
Day 13 & 14: Westport - Spiddal, Clifden , Connemara National Park, Achill Island, Bervie, Mayo
Day 15 & 16: Donegal - Ceide Fields, Sligo Park, Carrowkeel, Ballyshannon, Lough Erne, Enniskillen, Catsby Cave,Slieve League cliffs
Day 17, 18: Derry - Glenveagh National Park, Dunfanaghy, Fanad, Rathmelton, Malin Head
Day 19: Portrush - Giant's Causeway, Ballintoy, Bushmills, Carrick-A-Rede
Day 20 & 21: Belfast - Torr Head, Cushendun, Murlough Bay, Carnlough, Glenarm, Carrickfergus
Day 22: Near Dublin Airport - Mellifont Abbey, Bru na Boinne, Hill of Tara, Hill of Slane, Newgrange, Boyne Valley, Trim Castle
Day 23: Depart Dublin 9:00am

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the link to this question on another forum landed in my emails on Sunday for some reason. To be honest I didn't look at it. I have seen the answers you got

3 weeks to go round the island is fine. there are places on there I wouldn't have and you have too much included? possibly? to be honest the layout is confusing.

Basically.
3 days Kilkenny is 1 day too many and you can get there on arrival directly so cuts the night in Dublin or makes 2 nights Dublin, 2 nights Kilkenny. Dates would help.

2 nights Kinsale, lets just say 2 nights Cork area. could well be just 1?

3 nights Killarney Kenmare. I don't like Dingle but 2 nights Kenmare 1 night Dingle (I would use Castlegreggory)

Doolin. not for me. Ennis would work and see the Cliffs on the way up to Galway for 2 nights

See Inis Mor and 1 nights Clifden 1 night Westport

2nights Donegal. could be 1?

2 nights Portrush 1 night Belfast (3 days NI)

last night Dublin Airport

I just wrote that and I don't really like it. There is just too much in the wrong places to balance the flow. somewhere something has to go? point to point the locations make sense but everyone knows you cant see everything available from any one point in just a couple of days.

Pin your overnight points on a map. decide must see between points must see from points. You have 3 weeks some folk do this in 10 days (or try to).