padraig-can you help me

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
padraig-can you help me

i've noticed your name several times on here and you seem knowledgeable ,also i (we) were going to name our son padraig but alas we had 2 lassies(maura and caitrin) my question deals with mileage and driving times. i have searched on here and gone to viamichelin but i feel you may be more of a help.these are the places we'd like to see (june'08) kenmare,kinsale,dingle ,galway,dublin.if we land from Philadelphia at Shannon is it too far to drive the first day to kenmare also in what order should we visit the sites mentioned. thank you very much
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Hi calvo.

I saw your post before I had dinner, and decided to let things turn over in my head and respond after my meal. But we opened a bottle of wine, so I might be even less well-focused than usual.

My first thought is that I would not recommend to the average person that he or she drive from Shannon to Kenmare straight after a transatlantic flight. A good portion of the route is single carriageway and it is simply not the easiest drive. Shannon to Galway is much easier; obviously that imposes a different sequence on your visit, but I presume we are still at the blank sheet of paper stage.

How long will you be in Ireland? Will you be flying out from Shannon or Dublin? (If that is still not sorted, and you want to include Dublin, I suggest you look at the possibility of finishing there).

We can develop an itinerary gradually and, of course, we have many other participants here who know their way around Ireland. Let's hope your choice of header didn't scare them off!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Calvo,

If I read your initial post correctly, you wish to spend time in:
Galway
Dingle
Kenmare
Kinsale
Dublin

Notice the order in which I listed them as opposed to how you listed them. It is a logical progression to Fly into Shannon, heading to Galway, via the coast road, stopping at the Cliffs of Moher, lunch in Doolin or one of the other small towns along the coast, spend time in the Burren and finish up in Galway. After Galway, head to Dingle down the motorway and through Limerick. Afetr Dingle, then it is on to Kenmare. After Kenmare then to Kinsale and from Kinsale to Dublin, which you can either do in one long day or break it up with an added stop in Kilkenny. End your vacation with a few days in Dublin, turning in your rental car as you enter dublin and departing from Dublin to home.

I would suggest that you use the travel sites, aaireland.ie for distances but not travel time as they are overly optimistic. The general rule of thumb is to take the distance and divide by 35 to arrive at an approximate driving time, then add time for photo stops and bathroom breaks.

If you have the time, I would allow three nights for each of the first four stops, 2 nights for Kilkenny and 3 nights in Dublin, giving you a decent amount of time to explore each area and really enjoy your Ireland experience.

Padraig,

Did you have a glass of wine for me, as well?

Slan Beo,

Bit Devine
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much to both of you -we are planning on probably spending 2 weeks. this is our first time to Ireland after having been to Spain France and Italy a total of 15 times . I have been placed in charge of the organizational end of the plans and my fellow travelers (sisters and brothers 0in-law) were impressed by the other trips that i planned so my reputation is at stake. We have ancestors from Galway so we'll make that our first impression of your great land. thanks again
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

ok friends -maybe you can shed some light on this. if i don't want to fly home from dublin but prefer to leave from shannon ,what town between Dublin and Shannon do you recommend to spend a night or two? as of now (i'm sure it will change) we are planning on arriving at shannon-drive to Galway(3 nights)
dingle(2 nights)
kenmare(3 nights)
kinsale(2 nights)
dublin(2 nights)
? 2 nights -one of these nights should be fairly close to Shannon airport
is a drive from Dublin to Shannon in one day too ambitious?
many thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Short answer: Dublin to Shannon is a fairly easy drive -- 3 to 4 hours depending on traffic conditions (some people do it in less, but I don't recommend that you try).

I would suggest that you take an extra night in Dublin on the basis that two nights give you only one full day.

Perhaps the most popular jumping-off point for a flight out of Shannon is Ennis. Shannon town is dreary. Limerick has not got many fans (it has some). Bunratty is convenient: it is a village very much directed on tourism, a thing that some people like and others find a bit much.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM

I agrre with Padraig. I would count on 4 hours of driving time and if you some how do it in less, good for you.

His description of the overnight options near the airport are quite accurate. Ennis is slowly becoming the town of choice for frequent travelers. Bunratty is extremely convenient and has the castle and the folk park and is besides that, is a B&B village with shopping. The upside of Bunratty is a huge number of B&Bs and because there is a great deal of competition, most of them are very good. If you aren't planning much of an evening out on the last night, Bunratty is fine. Ennis on the other hand, is a real town with real pubs and shops.

Bill