Ireland or Scotland?

Search

Ireland or Scotland?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland or Scotland?

Planning a solo trip for August with CIE tours. I have never been to Ireland or Scotland before and can't decide between both.

Which country to choose? Can you please help?

Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM

I have never been to Scotland, but I would recommend going to Ireland to anyone. Although many of the places you would go in August would probably be fairly crowded, Ireland has a lot of opportunities to get away from tourism and really get a sense of the culture of the country you are in. Another bonus is that the locals are so friendly and will chat you up and tell you good places to go.

Both places are extremely beautiful and have some similar qualities in their rough coast lines and abundance of castles and ruins.

It really depends on what you are looking for. I've been to Dublin, Cork, Killarney, Doolin (Cliffs of Moher area), Dingle, and Kilkenny, so if you have any interest or questions about those areas let me know. I'm going to be studying in Dublin this summer as well, so if you haven't decided by then and have questions about anywhere else feel free to email me at [email protected].
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Tere, do run a search on here. The question's been asked dozens of times and the answer's are as varied as the answerers.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends what interests you. Scotland has two major cities and operates with Sterling. Eire has only the one major city in the Euro zone though two if you cross into Northern Island and operate in Sterling.

Much as I enjoy Ireland I think Scotland has more to offer but will be more expensive.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies! I plan to go to both places any time in my life, if God want to, but right now I am undecided!

Ebfich16, thanks for your help, the trip I am considering, if in Ireland, goes to all the places you mentioned.

Sheila, I did a search on posts about the subject but din't find any .

What I am looking for is to taste local life, castles, scenery, landscapes , good food and a relaxing escape from home.

I don't know if living in a Euro country and not wanting to spend that much it would be better to choose Ireland ( I am not thinking of going to North Ireland)

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
since you are in Europe - the costs will be very similar. In fact Scotland may be slightly cheaper.

You really can't go wrong w/ either -- and no one on here can really help that much since we aren't you.

I personally like Ireland very much (though Dublin - not so much) and parts of the W/SW coast are amazing.

But Scotland is my very favorite place on Earth. -- But that is just me - another person will have the opposite opinion and be just as valid.

One thing though - your trip is in August. What does the Scotland tour include -- especially in Edinburgh? Edinburgh in August is a special case VERY <b>VERY</b> crowded but w/ good reason. There are several world famous festivals and the military Tattoo all going on at the same time.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Janisj, the the Scotkand tour highlights are the following:

Scottish Cabaret &amp; Dinner
Loch Lomond Scenic Cruise
Isle of Mull - One of the Inner Hebrides
Culloden Moor - Bonnie Prince Charlie's Downfall
Glasgow's Kelvingrove Gallery
Stately Castles - Duart Crathes &amp; Edinburgh
St. Andrews - &quot;Home of Golf&quot;

What do you think?
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I am biased - from n. ire. have been in scotland few times, highlands are good, didnt like inverness, isle of skye is good, edinburgh is good. irish people and scottish people are alike - very hospitable and friendly to strangers, u will do well in either choice.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM

peteram: true - Inverness is not great. It is a busy commercial center w/ a very nice rive running through it. As a &quot;city&quot; it isn't bad but definitely not a place to linger.

Tere: Maybe give us a link to the two tours. Since that list of places is scattered all over it would be easier if we had the actual tour descriptions to work with . . . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Janisj, here are the links to both tours:

http://www.cietours.ie/product.asp?p...5&amp;market=7

http://www.cietours.ie/product.asp?p...0&amp;market=7

Thank you so much for your help

Peter, I am leaning very much for Ireland, don't ask me why!!1
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Well - as I said every rec will be subjective - but I would definitely prefer the pace of the Scotland itinerary. There is only one loooong driving day (between Ballachullish and Aberdeen).

Plus the chance to see Edinburgh during festival time w/o the hassle (a very big hassle) if trying to find accommodations on your own.