Ireland Itinerary Help Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving in Dublin on Good Friday and staying until Easter Sunday. Then we are picking up a car and heading west.

We are tentatively planning to spend Sunday and Monday night near Killarney.

We have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights left until we have to go back to Dublin, where we will stay Friday night before our early flight back to the States.

We are thinking of Connemara and wondering if you agree and how much time you would spend. Anyplace we have overlooked? We would like to use each place as a mini-base from which we could take day trips.

We are a well-traveled family of four with two early teen children.

Thanks for all help. It has been awhile since we visited this board.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

bumping to see if I can get a reponse.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM

I was just there this past easter and everything is Dublin shut down on good Friday and easter. Even the pubs closed at like 12 the night before good Friday. It was crazy how everything just shut down on good Friday there. Just and FYI to plan accordingly.

Are you visiting the cliffs of moher? ring of kerry? ring of beara? Kenmare is a cute town to visit that would be on your way to killarney. I've heard Killkenny (south of dublin) is nice as well, I will be visiting there next week!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM

The pubs close in Ireland on Good Friday (a legal requirement that survives from the time the mindset in Ireland was Roman Catholic). Some restaurants also close, either because their wine licence is an important part of their trade, or because Good Friday is not a big social night. Outside Dublin, a small proportion of businesses close between noon and 3.00pm.

Otherwise, all is business as usual.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We had heard some things might be closed, but we expect that at some point during our trip we can visit a pub or two.

We're thinking of the Cliffs of Moher and the Ring of Kerry. Also possibly the Aran Islands.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Since you have five nights before returning to Dublin, I'd suggest two or three nights in Killarney, then the balance in Galway. In Killarney (or split three nights between Kenmare and Dingle), visit Beara Peninsula, Ring of Kerry and DEFINITELY Dingle. Then drive to Galway by the Tarbert Ferry (avoiding Limerick), stopping at the Cliffs of MOher, and going the Burren on the way to Galway. The next day you can drive Connemara. Then when driving from Galway to Dublin, stop at Clonmacnoise on the way (I'm not looking at a map, but I think that's on the way). Personally I prefer the smaller towns, but with kids, Killarney and Galway might be more interesting. Also, I believe the Irish holiday around EAster, so be sure to book ahead.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Wow, that is just so much driving in the previous post! Personally, I like to see an area a bit more than that. You could go to Kilkenny on your first day and then spend the rest of the time near Killarney and Dingle and explore both peninsulas. I think that would give you plenty to do and see without being too crazed.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM
los

Hi. I stayed in a great family run Guesthouse in Galway called Abacus Guesthouse. I found them on tripadvisor. They were very helpful, organising day trips to Connemara, the Burren & Cliffs of Moher. They even sold tickets to the Aran Islands! The Family are lovely. They have teenage children, so are very child friendly.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM

We will be traveling to Ireland in late May to early June. We want to rent a car and do our own thing, staying in B&B's the entire time. Any suggestions. We will be starting our tour in Galway.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 03:51 AM

I will also agree with two other posters you might want to consider Kilkenny. We had a great time and we stayed just outside of the city center. It may not be for everyone but we felt a bit like we stepped into the past.

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Is there any chance you may depart from Shannon instead of Dublin?

Visit the Rock of Cashel on your way down to Killarney and also Cahir Castle. Killarney is a great home base with teens. My personal prefernce is the small, quaint town, but Killarney offers variety that pacifies teens. I would stay there and use as home base. By the way, since you are driving from the North, Kenmare is not on your way to Killarney, but South. Do agree that it is a fabulous, gorgeous town with incredible restaurants and great ambience. Great departing point for the Ring of Kerry loop, too. Do be cautious driving.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Good morning to all,
I believe we will be landing in Shannon on May 29th. My adult son(27) and I are both adventuresome. We want to truly taste the past and see the magnificence of the countryside. The city life might appeal to us for meals and conversation at dinnertime. We also love music. Any suggestions on pubs that would invite my son to come up on stage and play a bit. He is a very gifted musician. Thanks to all who might help us.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM

toni-- you may want to start up your own post, rather than "kidnapping" Traveler's

That said, head out to Kenmare. Loved the town and there is plenty of music every evening somewhere all week long. If you love Irish nusic, be ready for memorable performances. I was blown away by the beauty of many of these live performances in the local pus).
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Hello,
I'm new at this. Can you explain how I can post my own. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Right underneath the EUROPE heading, there a weblink that prompts you to POST A NEW MESSAGE.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM

Thank you so much!!!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Only Christmas and Good Friday the pubs are closed. a lot are closed or open late St Stephens day 26th Dec. Its a ghost town in Dublin and there will be NO restaurants open. Many people have house parties or some go to hotels for easter weekend in the country as a family. You can get food and even a drink in the hotels because you are considered residents. Consider this for the Fri as you have to eat at some point!