Ireland Itinerary Help Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have airfare to Ireland arriving Sept 29th and departing Oct 8th. I used a travel agency for the air because they got such a good deal. It was a fly and drive. My issue is that some of the hotels they use are full and I can book my own or not even visit that town. Here is the proposed itinerary from them.
1. Arrive Dublin, hotel paid
2. Drive to Waterford, hotel paid
3. Drive to Killarney, no hotel
4. Killarney another night
5. Galway, hotel paid
6. Galway, hotel paid
7. Donegal, I chose to add these 2 days
8. Donegal another night
9. Dublin 1 night
10 depart

Should I go to Killarney for 2 nights?? I want to take a day tour to the Ring of Kerry but I can change. I also added 2 nights at the end of the package because I thought it would be awesome to go north and see the Donegal area. This is kind of last minute so I haven't had time to do my usual extensive research before going somewhere. We live to drive. We aren't interested in night life and partying. Just want to enjoy the scenery. Please send any help. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

ME again. Should I skip Killarney and pick another spot to spend 2 nights? I want some place that I can make days trips from. Possibly Cork, Dingle peninsula? Also, is Donegal a good spot to spend 2 days?
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 03:34 AM

Had you asked before you booked and paid for hotel nights you would have been given informed options. As you have set locations given by some agency who have clearly never been to Ireland and just sold you some unsold coach tour rooms all we can do is make the best of what you have.

Dublin fixed
Waterford Fixed
Somewhere in Galway fixed

You have 2 days between Waterford and Galway to select from the whole province of Munster. Killarney would make the best and most sensible touring base so I suggest you have 2 nights there. Your 1st day will be taken between Waterford and Killarney, there are options but the popular route might be to follow the copper coast http://www.coppercoastgeopark.com/ then head for Blarney and then to Kenmare, scenic drive from Kenmare to Killarney. The middle day you can either drive or take a tour with the Ring of Kerry or Dingle peninsula. I might consider a non drive day and use a Deros tour of either?

You have 2 nights in Galway fixed with at least 1/2 days drive between the two, its a detour but the tourist option would be to see the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren "moonscape" on the way up. The Mid day you can see Connemara or Inis Mor.

You then have 3 days to get from Galway to Dublin. those 3 days could have easily been filled below the Dublin Galway line. I have no concept of why you opted to select Donegal but that would be another big drive from Galway and then even further back to Dublin.

However. If you do Inis Mor from Galway, consider heading to Clifden for a couple of nights exploring the Connemara https://goo.gl/UL09QA then use the spare day for a stopover on the way back to Dubin Possibly Roscommon and then head via Meath and Newgrange to a Dublin airport hotel for the last night.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 03:43 AM

Please note, as this is a fly drive package double check exactly what is included in the Drive section. You need to know the Class of Car, What insurance is included... I suspect it may only be the basic and you will be required to pay for SCDW when you collect the keys or you will need to have up to €3000 available to be put on "Hold" for the period of the hire.

I would like to be positive but it is better to be honest and that you be aware of problems before they sneak up on you.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 04:21 AM

Do you have to do Donegal? Look at Westport or Clifden. Clare Island is a side trip from both these towns.

http://www.clareislandferry.com/
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 05:00 AM

I'd only do Clare Island from Westport if doing an Island from Cliffden then Inshboffin is a great option just round the bay from Cleggan also from Cleggan is Omey Island which is land bridged at low tide.

If you do opt for Westport then Clare Island and the land bridged Achill Island are both good options and included on the map I made although Achill is above the loop.
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

I have used Gate1 several times for fly and drive with no problem. I'll have to check into the car. I chose Donegal so by all means tell me a better place to go. Someone I know told me it was really pretty. Please suggest anywhere that would be great. So u have 1 night in Dublin, 1 night in Waterford, 2 proposed nights in Killarney, 2 free nights to go anywhere and 1 night in Dublin. I'm all ears. Thanks so much for the input!!
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM

"However. If you do Inis Mor from Galway, consider heading to Clifden for a couple of nights exploring the Connemara https://goo.gl/UL09QA then use the spare day for a stopover on the way back to Dubin Possibly Roscommon and then head via Meath and Newgrange to a Dublin airport hotel for the last night"
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Opinions please! Gate 1 has secured me 2 nights in the Ballynahinch Castle to replace the 2 nights that were not open in the AbbeyGlen Castle in Galway. Is this too far from Galway! It looks absolutely insanely beautiful and the price they are giving me is the price quoted on Tripadvisor. Should I skip Galway, maybe just visit, and spend my 2 nights here? I love outdoor activities and there is tons to do there. Thanks so much for your input. This would be my splurge nights. I have to tell them tomorrow morning.
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 12:00 AM

Ballinahinch is a great location on the Connemara between Recess on the N59 and Roundstone on the coast, you can drive the Old Bog Road to Clifden from there although I prefer coming back the other way looking into the Benns.

Keep the 2 nights in Galway and use the middle day for the Aran Isles or Inis Mor anyway.. You can do that on a tour from Galway or drive yourself to Rossaveal for the ferry, possibly call into the craft village in Spiddal on the return leg.
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 12:44 AM

Ballynahinch is a bit special, and I'd take it ahead of any other hotel in that region.
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Oh thanks so much. So 1 night in Dublin, 1 night in Waterford, 2 nights in Kilarney (no hotel yet), 2 nights at the Ballynahinch, 2 nights don't know where to go and back yo Dublin for 1 night. I guess I get a customized vacation after all. Where should I stay after the Bally hotel?
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Unless you really like the thought of clocking up the miles on Irish roads, I'd leave Donegal out.

Have you looked at maps? Ballynahinch is well outside Galway City, deep in Connemara. You might want to use your full day there to drive a scenic circuit. One option (of several possibilities) is: Roundstone - Ballyconneely - Clifden - via Sky Road to Letterfrack - Kylemore - Leenane - Maam - Maam Cross - Recess - Ballynahinch. Start early and plan to finish late, because there are lots of places where you might want to stop.

You could move to a base in or near Galway city for two nights - not a long drive, but you could take a scenic route. Then use the full day at Galway to take the ferry to Inismore, and give yourself a non-driving day.

How does that grab you?
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I will take a look!