Fine-tuning 14 day Ireland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm hoping for some help fine-tuning this self-drive itinerary.

Background: There are 5 adults (my husband and I and our adult children). We are interested in scenery, pubs, museums, exploring towns, history, castles, celtic ruins, walking. We prefer a relaxed itinerary with mostly 2 or 3 night stays (however recognizing that sometimes a 1 night stay is advantageous). Given that we have 2 weeks we thought we would explore the south and leave the north for the next trip.

We are there May 12 - 26, flying in and out of Dublin. I have come up with the following 2 options. I have the final 3 nights in Dublin already booked so that part is firm.

Alternative 1

Trim - 1
Galway - 3
Dingle - 3
Kinsale - 2
Kilkenny - 2
Dublin - 3

Alternative 2

Trim - 1
Galway - 3
Ennis or Doolin - 1
Dingle - 2
Kenmare - 2
Kilkenny - 2
Dublin - 3

Any comments or advice on either of these two? I realize that there is beautiful scenery and lovely towns everywhere, so hoping to just do a decent job for this first trip to Ireland for all of us. Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Based on what you intend to see, you could get more responses. Ultimately, if you don't have to change residences as often as you propose, why do it?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Can you fly into Shannon and out of Dublin? If not, I get why you would stop in Trim. (Although we didn’t find the drive from Dublin to Galway after our flight too grueling. We made a few stops to eat and “go.” (I find that once we get on the ground, having an Irish breakfast helps to adjust my clock.)

If you base yourself in Killarney, or Kenmare, you don’t need to stay in Dingle. If you want to stay in Dingle, you only need one night unless you plan to do some hiking or other activity. The peninsula drive is less than half a day. You could use the extra day for the Ring of Kerry or the Beara Peninsula.

Doolin is pretty much a collection of B&Bs and pubs. Ennis is a busy market town. You can drive from Galway to Killarney in maybe 4 hours, plus sightseeing along the way. You could stop in either town for a bit along your way. Add this night to Killarney/Kenmare.

After many visits to Ireland, we have done away with the one night stops unless necessary to break up a very long drive.