Critique my 10-Day Ireland itinerary, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ten days to spend in Ireland in September of next year. I have been researching quite a bit and have come up with a tentative itinerary, but not ever having been there, I'm not sure if it makes sense. We will be leaving from the U.S. and will go to Scotland upon leaving Ireland. . .but that's another post. We plan on driving everywhere except Dublin and have decided we would prefer to stick to the southern part. We don't sit around much while on trips. . .we can do that at home. However, we don't want to get exhausted. Our priorities are the sites I have listed at each place, hopefully allowing for time to just wander or for flexibility. We're not much into museums as a rule but love nature and historic sites. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Day 1--Arrive Shannon, rent car. Drive to Ennis, approximately 30 minutes away. Spend the night.

Day 2--Drive to Cliffs of Moher, about 35 minutes from Ennis. Allow 2-3 hours. Return to Ennis.

Day 3 -6--Drive to Dingle, going through Conor Pass if desired. Check into hotel. Explore. (4 nights)
Attractions: Gallarus Oratory, Bunratty Castle, Fungi the dolphin (maybe,) cafes, pubs, and craft shops.
Day trips to Killarney on two days to see Killarney National Park and drive the Ring of Kerry.

Day 7--Drive to Cork, Check into hotel.
Attractions: Rock of Cashel About 1.5 hours from Cork (1 night)

Day 8-10--Drive to Blarney Castle then on to Dublin. Return car and use public transportation. Check into hotel. (3 nights)
Attractions: Day trip to Wicklow monastery using public transportation, public transportation, possibly HOHO tour while in Dublin. Specific sites to be determined.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM

I can only comment on the first bits since I didn't go to Cork+. There are some locals that are sure to chime in to help.

We enjoyed our time in Dingle (2 nights) but would not have wanted to stay 4. I don't think it makes for a very good base as it is a bit remote, but that's me. We stayed in Killarney for 3 nights and then Dingle for 2 (and Galway for 3).

Good luck. Photos below

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ireland.html
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM

We were in Ireland September before last and did most of the stuff that you have mentioned here. When you are in Dublin check out the trip to Newgrange. It may not be something you are interested in but the structure is older than the pyramids. There are little shuttles there but I think you need to make a reservation.

We also stayed in Doolin and did a day trip to Dingle and you can actually stay in Cashel. We stayed at a wonderful B&B. I think it was the No.1 for B&B's on trip advisor.

We enjoyed Glendalough too south of Dublin.

I'd recommend Baccaro's to eat in Dublin.

Ireland and its people are wonderful. Have a great trip.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Would it be better to base in Killarney and do day trip(s) to Dingle? I left out Slea Head, and that is definitely a priority.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Killarney is the best base for mid/north Kerry unfortunately Dingle is just not a touring base. Possibly have one night in Dingle on the way to Killarney.

I would keep the car and return it to Dublin Airport. That way you could call at Cahir and Cashel on the way back to Dublin.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I'm absolutely keeping the car until I get to Dublin.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM

sorry miss read
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:54 PM

I would not want to do Dingle from Killarney either. We were fine splitting that part into 2 stays. I take it you are trying to have a single base for that part to keep from changing all the time. I would do 1-2 in Dingle and 2-3 in Killarney.

You can do Gallarus Oratory as part of the Slea Head drive (towards the back half if you go clockwise if I recall).

We opted for the shorter Slea Head rather than the RoK but it doesn't have to be either/or.

We also chose the slightly out of the way Loop Head over the Cliffs of Moher based on some recommendations here (though it did make for a long car day -- Dingle to Galway via Loop Head and some Burren stops). You could do some Burren stops on your Cliffs day as well.
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:13 PM

I would not waste day #2 on the Cliffs, go see them the first day and then head south on day 2.

I would agree not to spend any more than 2 nights in Dingle.

Take the extra nights and add them to Kenmare or Killarney. Either will make a better base. (We like to visit Killarney but prefer to stay in Kenmare.). Lots to see in this area. Not a huge fan of ROK. Visit the Beara and/or Sheepshead Peninsulas

Cork is worth 2 nights. Keep in mind that you will probably arrive late in the afternoon so won't have too much time to spend there. (We like the coastal route from Kerry.) Kinsale is a nice seaside area and worth a couple of hours.
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips--keep them coming. Allisonm, the only reason I saved the Cliffs until the next day is that our overnight flight will be arriving in the morning of Day 1. We aren't always able to sleep on the plane, and from past experience I was afraid to plan much of anything important on that day in case we were a bit jetlagged. We might be able to do them on Day 2, though, and then head south rather than staying another night in Ennis. I'm pretty ambivalent about the ROK. I'm sure I can find something else to replace that.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Ennis is a great base for the whole of county Clare and there is a whole lot more than just the Cliffs of Moher, there is the whole of the Burren, perhaps an Innis Orr Clifs of Moher combi cruise (best way to see the cliffs these days) Dolmen, Ring Forts castles and monasteries.

Then over here in the East, Lough Derg, Killaloe/Ballina and the Slieve Aughty. South Clare from Bunratty across to Loop Head a non tourist cliffs an lighthouse.

Dolphin watching from Carrigaholt, Hawk walks at the Aillwee caves,

No forget it all there is in Clare are the Cliffs of Moher so a waste of a day!!
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tony2phones! Good to know. Back to my original plan.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:27 AM

http://www.visitennis.ie/

Try a pub meal in Brogans and maybe music later on, Poets Corner in the Old Ground is 2nd choice good food decent prices.

Ennis. We stay at the Grey Gables just a couple of minutes walk into the centre. http://bed-n-breakfast-ireland.com/?...05666032682470 The Hotels in town are The Old Ground and Temple Gate 9great offers at the moment), both are very good, http://www.flynnhotels.com/Old_Ground_Hotel_Ennis http://www.templegatehotel.com/
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM

I too would change the 4 nights in Dingle to a max of 2 nights. Also, your itinerary has Bunratty Castle from Dingle. Big backtrack as it is right near Shannon airport. Possibly explore Bunratty and the folk park after leaving Ennis en route to Dingle or the 2nd night in Ennis attend the medevial feast in the castle (touristy but fun). In Dingle, there are a number of B&Bs right on Main St and everything is within walking distance. Try out the pub An Droicead Beag (The Small Bridge)right next to...the small bridge on Main St. In Ennis, I agree with the other posters who recommended the Old Ground,lovely hotel.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, bill151. I did realize my mistake after I had posted my itinerary. I misread my guidebook as to the location of Bunratty. I have changed it to stop there on the way to Ennis from Shannon. Does that make sense? I do like your idea of the medieval feast, though. Sounds like fun. In revising my itinerary, I have actually cut Dingle to one night. I will post a revised one shortly to get opinions.
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Tony, please consider me chastised. If the OP was only going to visit the cliffs, then I felt there were better ways to spend the day.

Actually, I like Clare a lot. Loop Head is one of our favorite places, and we thought the Killaloe area was gorgeous. Not to mention the Burren and coast.

Bunratty Castle is in the Folk Park, so if you drive by on your way to Ennis from the airport, you will only see the exterior. The park will not be open yet. The Folk Park itself is an interesting afternoon. We have never been to the feast but we met some people at our B&B in Bunratty last month who really enjoyed it.
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Alison you would not be surprised at how many visitors rush between the two magnetic tourist poles of Doolin and Dingle. Most with only the COM and the silly idea of going to Innis Mor from Doolin on the agenda.

Bobby if you do fancy a medieval banquet then change your first night to Kinvara and have the 5,30 banquet at Dunguaire Castle, same as the show at Bunratty but less tour coach crowd. Kinvara (Co.Galway) is a lot less touristy than its Clare cousins of Ballyvaughan and Doolin You could then take the day steady dropping down to Ennis seeing a few sights on the way.
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Oooh, yes, do catch the banquet at Dunguaire Castle. Now it isn't exactly the same show as Bunratty but focuses on local lore and personalities (Lady Gregory for example). Not as shoulder-to-shoulder crowded as Bunratty, either.
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Sorry, was going to recommend the b& we stayed in Kinvara but it doesn't seem to exist any longer. Bummer. I'm sure there are several very nice ones available, though.
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

OK. Based on your recommendations and allowing for still some possible confusion on my part, see how this revised itinerary looks:

Day 1--Arrive Shannon, rent car. Drive to Kinvara, approximately 40 minutes away. Spend the night in Kinvara. Have the medieval feast at Dunguaire Castle (Reservations needed.)

Day 2--Drive to Cliffs of Moher, about 35 minutes from Ennis. Allow 2-3 hours. Innis Orr Clifs of Moher combi cruise (best way to see the cliffs.) Maybe drive up to Galway, about 45 miles. Return to Kinvara for the night.
Other possible attractions: Dolmen, Ring Forts castles and monasteries.

Day 3--Drive to Dingle, about 75 miles, for one night,stopping to see Bunratty Castle and Folk Park on the way. Going through Conor Pass optional (scary, narrow cliff road with great scenery.) Check into hotel in Dingle.
Attractions: Gallarus Oratory, Fungi the dolphin, Slea Head Drive (priority), cafes, pubs, and craft shops. (Gallarus Oratory can be done as part of the Slea Head Drive.)

Day 4-5--Killarney (2 nights)
Attractions: Killarney National Park and drive the Ring of Kerry (maybe.) Muckross Abbey

Day 6-7--Drive to Cork, Check into hotel. (2 nights)
Attractions: Kinsale, Blarney Castle

Day 8-10--Drive to Dublin (about 3 hours), see Rock of Cashel on the way. Return car to Dublin airport and use public transportation. Check into hotel. (3 nights)
Attractions: Day trip to monastery at Glendalough, probably HOHO tour, trip to Newgrange, (may need to make shuttle reservations in advance.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -