Search

Ireland Itinerary & Accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Itinerary & Accommodation

Hello

We have planned a 23 day trip of South West/West Ireland in May next year. The following is the itinerary and the hotels/B&Bs we are booking. Would appreciate comments both on the itinerary and the accommodation.

Kinsale ? Pier House Hotel
Crookhaven ? Galley Cove House
Kenmare ? The Lodge (Although having seen report on Shelburne Lodge, thinking of changing)
Portmagee ? The Moorings
Dingle ? Heatons Guest House
Ballyvaughan ? Rushdeen Lodge
Galway ? Ardawn Guest House
Clifden ? The Quay House
Kilkenny ? Lacken House
Graigueamanagh ? Ballyogen House
Dublin ? The Fitzwilliam

Thanks for your help
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:11 AM

The only one of those I have stayed at is Galley Cove and it was fine. The dining room was a bit cold in the morning but the rooms were quite comfortable and the location is nice. Heatons always gets high marks though it is a bit more expensive.

It sounds like you have 23 nights and 8 stops which is very good. I'm not sure where you are landing though I hope it's Shannon. Kinsale is a tiring drive from there but doable if you get out of the car a lot with jet lag. Getting around Limerick won't be a problem, but Cork won't be much fun. If you are landing in Dublin, I think Kinsale would be too far to travel with jet lag.

Bill
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM

We stayed in at the Quays House in Clifden and really enjoyed it. The owners Paddy and Julia were very nice and the breakfasts are very good. We stayed in a Victorian room that over looked the water and it had its own kitchenette and a large bath-It was quite at night and a short walk into town.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Comments on Cork. I just read they recently had a flood, so may have some construction or road diversions. We, and others, got lost trying to navigate around Cork. I'm trying to remember if Heatons was the B&B where we stayed in Dingle. If so, they had the best breakfast of our entire trip!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM

We didn't stay at Pier House in Kinsale (out of our B&B budget) but it is right smack dab in the middle of town, so that might be very convenient.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:58 AM

robbieb,

I recently wrote favorably about the Shelburne Lodge in Kenmare; we loved it. Interestingly, The Lodge was our other choice. The Lodge is actually on the same street as Shelburne (a little closer to town, to be fair). We didn't go in, but from the street it looked to be a fairly big structure, and definitely built like a hotel. Whereas the Shelburne Lodge is a 19th century (I think) manor house that has been wonderfully restored on the inside.

I am sure either would be great, very similar locations, both very convenient. We just had such a great experience at Shelburne, I wouldn't consider staying elsewhere.

Oh, did I mention that John or Mary will always ask if you want tea if you're hanging around the living room fire anytime between noon and 5:00? They are such great hosts.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info, we are landing in Cork so Kinsale should not be a problem...