Ireland Information

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Marsha

Ireland Information

We will be going to Ireland in the fall and were wondering whether it is worth the time to go north to the Glens of Antrim. We will be going to the Wicklow Mtn. area and maybe the scenery will be just as fabulous here rather than going the extra miles. I love beautiful waterfalls and serene countrywide. Thanks for you input. Marsha

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Ann

I would first drive up the Antrim Coast road (head north out of Belfast, toward Carrickfergus). Incredible scenery. Try out the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge, stop at Dunluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, Bushmills Distillery. On your back back south, drive through the Glens. Don't know what road to take, but just look on a map.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
bill

I would probably choose the Antrim coast over the Wicklow mountains, but both are beautiful. Take the road to Carrick Fergus out of Belfast and just follow the Antrim Coast road from there. You can easily drive into any of the glens from that road. Don't miss Glenariff. There is an inn of some sort on the left as you take the road in. Pull into that and just behind the inn take the very short trail to the left to a beautiful and very frequently photographed waterfall. In fact, I'm still loading them, but here is a link that contains a few of my photos of the area.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/obeirne_ireland_2002/lst?.dir=/may+10+2002&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/
The waterfall is on that page.

Bill

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Lillie

On balance I would be inclined to head for Killarney/Ring of Kerry/Dingle instead of Antrim.You will have to go through Belfast to get to Antrim and it is a pain in the neck.Wicklow itself offers a few days of fine scenery.I was not too impressed by the Giants Causeway-worth a detour but not a trip I feel, and the Rope Bridge will only take a few minutes.The Antrim coast road is worth a visit though but I prefer the south overall.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:33 PM
bill

I would probably choose the Antrim coast over the Wicklow mountains, but both are beautiful. Take the road to Carrick Fergus out of Belfast and just follow the Antrim Coast road from there. You can easily drive into any of the glens from that road. Don't miss Glenariff. There is an inn of some sort on the left as you take the road in. Pull into that and just behind the inn take the very short trail to the left to a beautiful and very frequently photographed waterfall. In fact, I'm still loading them, but here is a link that contains a few of my photos of the area.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/obeirne_ireland_2002/lst?.dir=/may+10+2002&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/
The waterfall is on that page.

Bill

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:48 AM
bill

We went through Belfast at midday on a Friday and had no problem at all.

Bill

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Ann

Belfast is not a very big city, and is easy to get through.

Also, anyone who says they weren't impressed by the Giant's Causeway also probably wasn't very impressed by the Grand Canyon.

The Carrick-a-Rede bridge is obviously crossed in a few minutes, but the little island it links you to is a wonderful spot to just sit and watch the ocean for an hour or two.

I also love the Wicklow Mountains, and did an 80 mile hike along the Wicklow Way a few years ago. Part of the trail takes you up above the Powerscourt waterfall and gardens. Unfortunately, after a hard climb, we couldn't see a thing because of fog, but a woman we met on the trail said the view is spectacular.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Sasha

Glens of Antrim are one of my favourite parts of Ireland. Drive through Portballintrae, have a tipple beside the turf fire in the Bushmills Inn after visiting the distillery. Glenariff Country Park (has waterfall)is nice. Also, if you've time visit Murlough Bay outside Ballycastle and go down to the tiny sandy cove there...beautiful! I work in Belfast and the traffic is *not* a problem although obviously 5-6pm is busiest.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:23 AM
hobis42

if you stick with wicklow, don't miss glendalough, absolutely beautiful.